Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 80 of 111 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,872 Posts
Not sure about the electrics and the battery issues mentioned on this thread.........
There are no battery or electronic issues with the EZY Loader if it is set up right other than normal and expected maintenance and repair.
Unfortunately, we have zero first hand testimonials on the Apijuneda so far.
We have several beekeepers on Bee Source that utilize EZY Loaders.
Sure would be nice to hear from several folks that have experience with the Apijuneda.
I can't imagine shelling out $25,000.00 from strictly watching a video.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I will post a pic of those switches when the work load eases up in a couple of weeks. I am not concerned with "exact" replacements where they arent warranted but lack of time for putzing with making big changes wont do either. The micro switch shown is not the correct style. I did call and e-mail Australia with no success but hopefully my next inquiry to them will prove fruitful. Thanks for all of the positive comments and taking the time to respond.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I'm enjoying the thread in the EZ-loader. Looking at putting a boom on our Dodge 3500 12-foot flatdeck and converting from a tailgate lift. However, the price I've been quoted - $35K Canadian - makes this an expensive proposition. I've been looking at the Apijuneda cranes out of Spain; (http://www.apijuneda.com/en/gruas.htm) they seem to have a larger variety fitted for various trucks and they also appear less pricey. But the question is, are they equivalent? Not wanting to buy into any crane that includes problems with service, parts availability or endless concerns about battery life. Anyone out there using the Apijuneda cranes?
Jeff:

If it has moving parts, it will cause problems sooner or later. I would keep in mind the freight costs. If the Apijuneda price quoted is 26K in Spain, you will have at least another couple of grand of freight, some brokerage fees, duties etc... These things add up quickly.
Ezy loaders have been around for awhile. They had issues early on, they have been worked out since then.

I would be inclined to get the largest unit possible, at 300 kg lifting capacity you can move a drum of honey around. That could come in handy.

I would be inclined to support the local guy. If ever you have issues with the Eze Loader, Manitoba is only a 16 hour drive away.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
I would concur. Had my ezyloader a few months now and extremely happy with my investment, I would not go back.

Recently I was able to take a look at a 13 year old ezyloader and while it looked fairly similar at quick glance, I noticed that many design improvements have been made in my one. I'm sure the product I have is going to last many years, it will still be serving somebody well after I am gone. I think you buy one of these, and it will serve you for life.

Not totally problem free though, soon after I got it, one of the brakes stopped working. A quick phone call from the bee yard to Australia, and he told me it will be the fuse, and which one to change. I had a fuse in the truck so changed it, and back in business. But he also told me that the relay that works the brakes can be sticky which causes the fuse to blow, so I should oil the relay. This I failed to do, then days later, the fuse blew again. So this time I got home and oiled the relay, no problem since.

Following comments from others here on Beesource, I have installed some very grunty batteries to run the ezyloader, which are controlled by a battery computer. I feel like this has been a factor in the excellent performance I'm getting from the ezyloader.

Anyhow, there is no way I would swap out my ezyloader for any other brand of knuckle boom, even if I saved some dollars.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
And oh, unlike some of the old boom loaders, the ezyloader is so easy to use, my 8 year old grandaughter can load hives onto the truck with it.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I might get one as well. I stopped beekeeping beause I cannot lift anymore because of a back issue.Got a crew for that, but with an Eze loader I could work again if i wanted. There are many uses for it, pulling honey, installing pollen traps, supering hives, etc...

Anyways I have dropped more than 35K in spinal decompression, massage chair, accupuncture, chiropractor, rolfing, physiotherapy, yoga classes. I am sure this is like a forklift in the sense that once you have one, you never want to go without again.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Jean-Marc, I would not go without
I’ve structured my entire operation around it. Switching to a loader requires a complete operational shift, some don’t like and go back. But others don’t look back !

https://youtu.be/yFgrKALVT-8

https://youtu.be/pia_1eBSIKU

·
Registered
187 Posts
Does the loader come with a Sound Garden CD?

For your size operation Ian, I can seen how that works well.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Lol! My guys have good taste in music.
But, for my size, yes it’s perfect. But if you look at the process... to increase in size is simply duplicating. Another truck, hire few more guys, tweak the schedule, double the output... as long as I complement it with more extraction capacity and a huge MF wearhouse

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I couldn’t get them to link here for some reason.

Go to Youtube
Search for Steppler Farms Video Blog , it’s our farm YouTube channel.

Go to the playlist and look under “a Canadian Beekeeper’s Blog- highlights”

You will find a few things. I’ve just started uploading onto the channel so not much there yet

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Gave those links another shot and it worked, must have done something wrong last time.

Nice videos!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lol! My guys have good taste in music.
But, for my size, yes it’s perfect. But if you look at the process... to increase in size is simply duplicating. Another truck, hire few more guys, tweak the schedule, double the output... as long as I complement it with more extraction capacity and a huge MF wearhouse
How many singles can do guys spread out into yards in a full night? I know it depends on yard size and driving distance...

btw: There is nothing like seeing a warehouse F a M. Is that on your YouTube channel? Please share the link. :)

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Not exactly sure I understand the question but
I’ll load my truck with an easy 144 hives and I’ll be back from setting them out roughly 2 hours round trip. My apiary is 10 miles in each direction

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
I'm pretty convinced it's faster than a forklift.

Plus a number of other advantages. 1. You don't have to haul a big forklift around. 2. A forklift does not overcome the other big backbreaker that beekeepers have, lifting heavy honey boxes off hives. See Ians video on putting escape boards under honey supers.

There is just one advantage that forklifts have, and that is you can go pick up pallets from further away from the truck that the length of a boom. However this can be overcome with organisation, organising site layout so the truck can be driven between rows of hives and all can be reached with the boom.

Now I'm older and full honey boxes seem heavier, that has been the motivation for getting my ezyloader. But now I have it, wish I'd done it years ago.

61 - 80 of 111 Posts