Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am planning on building a hive lift on the order of the EZy loader, i have one issue with my design, i plan to reach at least 14 feet from the main mast. This design issue i'm having is what to use for the main pivot point. I am thinking either a mower spindle but not sure if i can find one big enough or maybe using a 7000 lb axle spindle with an idler hub. I do want bearings for ease of movement so a pipe sleeve is out. any thoughts or idea's will be appreciated.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I welded a trailer spindle vertical into a Reece hitch extender. Then bolted a plate to the hub. Welded a piece of 3" DOM pipe (structural steel, not schedule pipe). At the top of my flatbed I built a bolt on sleeve to serve as an upper bearing, with a 3" piece of pvc pipe to serve as a slick bushing.

DOM pipe makes sizing easier since structural steel is sized od, while schedule pipe is sized id.

·
Super Moderator
1,899 Posts
Hi, i am planning on building a hive lift on the order of the EZy loader......
Remember; when you are operating a knuckle-boom such as an EZY loader, you are directly underneath the mast.
However you engineer your version, it had better be right. If it fails, SERIOUS injury, or worse could be the result.

·
Registered
509 Posts
2AE6FE3A-5E12-44C6-917E-B55E56D92C15.jpg
Mine only reaches 10' from center of truck, and is not self leveling. At 10', the truck could use stabilizers with heavy double deeps on 2-way pallets. I built this 10' tall from the ground expecting to stack those 2 way pallets, but I never seem to get every hive in a yard the same config, and not sure I like the idea of stacking 2 ways in hindsight. Wish I'd built it about 8' tall. Being mounted in a hitch extender, I can still pull a trailer and load it as well. I wired the motorcycle battery to the constant positive feed in my trailer connector, so the small battery is always at full charge. I usually just leave the truck running.

Bought myself a bobcat this summer, may or may not retire the hoist.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts