Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Eyelets for frame wiring - ways to get them on the tool??

Just after some tips guys.

I have been loading 16 at a time onto my spike tool, and inserting them into the frames. I sort of hold them in the palm of my hand and stab at them.

I have heard about using an upturned lid from a shoebox and tapping it so the eyelets face the same way and can then be swekered onto the tool - This method didnt work for me.

Got any better ways to load up the tool?

I have used machinery to sort bungs for pharmaceutical vials in the past - was a vibrating bowl and all the bungs come out of it the same way.

Does such a sorting or vibrating tool xist for bee keeping?

Is there any vids around showing how a machine wires a frame, or are thy all done by hand??

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
THE HIVE AND THE HONEY BEE, has a picture, the eyelets are all poured on a slanted board and gravity causes them to lay in a similar way (to each other)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I put a bunch of the eyelets on a nail that justs fits the eyelet. Push in the first one, pull the nail back out and push down the eyelets and repeat.

But I have decided that eyelets are a waste of time, money and energy. Quit using them. Now if someone can give me some good reasoning as to why I should use them, I might reconsider my decision.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
My experience has been if I don't use the eyelets, I never can get the wire taut. It cuts into the wood as it goes thru the holes in the end bars, and loosens up. Which defeats the purpose of the wire - to hold the foundation or comb straight, with additional horizontal support.

I tried Kelley's 4-eyelet insertion tool... waste of time. Was much faster using the single eyelet insertion tool. Poured some eyelets on the table, grab one, put on end of tool, insert in frame end, smack with 16 oz. claw hammer which sets it in one smack, move on to the next. If I remember correctly it was about 30 seconds quicker on two frame ends using the single eyelet tool rather than the quad. But your methods may vary.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hey Ken! Are you insinuating that some of us are wired tight? :lpf:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I stopped using eyelets too, I use t-50 staples shot with an electric staple gun ($30 at Ace and use ace staples). Wire pulls right up against the staple and tight as a banjo. I can "staple" about 5-7 frames in the time it takes to put eyelets in one, with no hand fatigue. Will be stapling and wiring 800 frames this weekend.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Thanks, but I cant take credit for it, my dad came up with that one. Looking at the frames as you will wire it from the right... a staple over each hole wire will be run through up to the nails ... and on the left a staple on the inside of each hole the wire will pass through. Keeps the wire from pulling through the wood it stops at the staple. And that electric staple gun is fast best $30 bucks I have spent.... and no more sore hands from pushing those darn eyelets.

·
Registered
227 Posts
here is what the tool looks like loaded up. there must be a better way to do it than in the palm of the hand.

Sorry fella's, I am not a staples man, and never will be - not my idea of how a frame should look, but thats just me.

if the tool breaks, I have found a good replacement with tungsten TIG welding electrodes

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That is a good idea with the TIG tips and putting all those eyelets on like that. I know the staples are not traditional but I have another 1500 frames to go.....my palm says pull the trigger on that staple gun. Have a great honey season down under.:)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I stopped using the eyelets yrs ago I use fishing line it last and cheap. go to U Tube type in fatbeeman got some video there hope this helps

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I suggest some kind of cross-wiring or something for stability in DEEP frames for extraction. I dont wire medium frames, but have a few deeps come apart in an extractor and you have a mess.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I suggest some kind of cross-wiring or something for stability in DEEP frames for extraction. I dont wire medium frames, but have a few deeps come apart in an extractor and you have a mess.
Ah, I never extract my deeps and I use shallow frames for honey. My deeps are for brood and bee stores only. I only had blowouts with the shallow frames when I went way too fast with my hand crank extractor.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Pierco plastic doesn't use eyelets or foundation. Lets see, 10,000 frames would have had 80,000 eyelets! That must be why I went to Pierco.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts