Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Dadant, maxant, or ? I hopfully will be at 5 hives next year. There seems to be a lot of people that like the maxant 3100. Any thoughts? Thanks Ken

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Not exactly the same as Ford Toyota story. In the smaller sizes the maxant is more heavy duty construction than the dadant.
I've heard dadant uses thicker gage metal in their larger machines.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went with the Maxant 3100. I did a lot of research and considered a lot of feedback from this site. The main things that leaned me toward Maxant was that they make them in the US, a family owned company, versus the Italian made extractors at Brushy, which is also a family owned business, and I figured if I needed parts they would be readily available way down the road.

·
Registered
843 Posts
5 hives, are you expanding in the future? Will you be extracting mediums or deeps? These are all things to consider when buying any extractor.
Let me know if I can answer any of your questions.
J
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The above post is the primary reason i would buy MAXANT, great customer service. They always answer the phone, Jake is always on BEESOURCE answering questions and adding great advice, on top of that just plain old TOP NOTCH equipment built with pride right here in the USA. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Well, at this point you cant go wrong with the 3100, or the 1400. That boils down to cost, and how much time you want to spend extracting.
They are both great machines, however the 1400 gives you the luxury of extracting deeps radially, where as the 3100 will only allow for 3 deeps at a time tangentially. Just things to consider! Hope this info helps. :popcorn:

·
Registered
869 Posts
With the Jerk running my state cutting my wage 15% as I am a state employee, the only way I was able to get an extractor was to pull bees out of peoples walls for $. I had to go a little on the cheap side bought a ML extractor as jobs slowed quickly. If I could have gotten 1 or 2 more jobs, I would have bought a Maxant extractor. When the time comes to replace it, I will cut someone a decent deal on the one I have now and get a Max.

C2

·
Registered
843 Posts
Batman, my father lives in Galt, and took early retirement from the state of Ca.
What a joke that state has become! I love the 528 million dollar school they just built in Los Angeles!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I bought the BM 9 frame radial extractor from Bigbearomaha here. Makes quick work and his price is REALLY hard to beat. He doesnt stock them, but has them dropshipped to save $$, so its a good deal. Its a solid extractor. My kids(9,10) can help as the gearing is well done. The one I have has the strainer below the extractor with the storage tank. It's extracting, straining and storing all at once. Makes cleanup REALLY REALLY EASY and if the comb blows, which to me has only happened once, it catches in the strainer and drains itsself. Bear did me good, as i am sure maxant has done well for everyone too. Valleyman and Grid have bought one as well. Good Stuff! I went through 2 supers and 3 frames a couple of weeks ago from beginning to end in under an hr. I always wait for the bubbles to settle a bit before bottling, but thats getting them inside, decapping, straining, cleaning the extractor and drying it and puting the empty supers BACK on the hives here at the house, with no problems what so ever...all in an hr....and its a hand crank!

·
Registered
843 Posts
I agree, the price of the BM extractor is hard to beat, but what else would you expect with a import extractor. Cant compete on price level with that.
This is part of the reason the economy is in a rut.

·
Banned
840 Posts
I wasn't going to post here as I think it's improper seeing as I sell them and this isn't a forum for me to sell in. However,

Just to clear things up on the Brushy Mtn 9 frame extractor.

Yes, it is an import but that does not mean it is low quality.

BM gets these from Italy and they are soundly built and work very well.

I am sorry to break the news to folks but "made in America" isn't always what it used to be (and more often than not, it just means "assembled in America" anymore).

I will put the quality and capability of the Brushy 9 frame radial hand extractor up against any other similar to it, regardless of where it is made or assembled.

(Note, I am not implying that the others mentioned here are not perfectly capable machines, only to point out that "imports" are NOT necessarily 'bad products' just because they aren't made here. as some might suggest)

Big Bear

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I think the point was that cost of living in the other countries is less, wages are lower. Its sad that something can be shipped from over seas for less than we can sell it for.
Personally I don't mind paying a little more for a quality built american product. After all I'm an american worker, & depend on people buying our product for me to survive.

·
Banned
840 Posts
Its sad that something can be shipped from over seas for less than we can sell it for.
Now that I can agree with.

I have no problem with supporting American made or produced products. I am a firm believer in supporting local small business over imported, cheap crap from huge corporations when at all possible.

I also know that America doesn't "own" making high quality items and when I am looking for something that i really need to be done right, I will be more open in my search to find it.

If I misunderstood, I apologize, but I really do believe in the quality of this particular item.

Big Bear

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yes, thats the one, except i got the upgraded version. NOW, that being said, I was given a lot of crap because i bought a toyota truck instead of a ford. ALL of the fords i have had since 1999 have fallen apart at 60k, same for gm and chevy. The very same products they say are american built are assembled here, not made here and the same for the toyotas coming out of texas, so anyway off my rant. I love my extractor...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts