Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy either a Maxant 55+ radial or a Cowen 80 + radial, both are used and are SS of course and are supposed to be in good condition (I haven't gone to look at them yet).
I am wondering what your preference would be and what do you think the fair market worth is on each one?
Just looking for some feedback to help with the decision making, also I know that a person should get an extractor to fit your future needs if you are planning on expanding.
At the present I am a sideliner that is going to get a lot more serious within the next 2 years and may go commercial in the near future! ??:s

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went and bought both of them this past weekend, could not resist as the guy gave me a screaming deal! :D
My wife even said it was a great deal!
I was so shocked that I am still trying to figure what she has up her sleeve??:lpf:
He told me that I can double stack in the 80 frame smooth reel and get 160 frames in it at a time.
The Maxant is a 50 frame segmented reel, but he told me he used to put frames in between the segments to get more frames into the extractor!
Has anybody tried this before?
They both have 3 1/2" PVC pipes hooked to the outputs and he had them hooked to a 3,000 gallon SS tank in the past and also had them in a semi trailer as a mobile extracting unit.
He made the point clear for me to have a big enough tank because the honey comes out like crazy.
I have a 250 gallon SS tank and I hope this will work? I guess I will find out? :D
I think I will need a lot more bees to keep the extractors going???

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Some quick math if using medium frames for extraction.
10 frames is aprox 2.5 gallons
so
80 frames would be 20 gallons
or 160 frames would be 40 gallons

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
If you are using an uncapping knife or a flailing uncapper on every frame you can double up the frames with no problem(usually). If you have partially finished frames and you scratch the cappings the comb is to thick to double up and you will get alot of trapped honey in the cells.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts