Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1461 - 1480 of 2307 Posts

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I am sorry, I didn't mean to compare your operation to a horse and carriage. It clearly isn't.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,164 Posts
>Man, you must old. The pulsating vacuum milking machine as we know it has been around since the early 1900's!

Yes, and my grandparents were born in the 1800s as were a lot of the old farmers when I was a kid. And just because something has been invented does not mean it is in widespread use yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sure that any dairy farmer with any size herd of milkers knew that hand milking was a limiting factor in increasing the herd size.
The milking machine filled a need and allowed herd growth. The machine was adopted quickly because the need was a real one, not a imaginary one. Much like refrigeration.

Maybe you can use another analogy.
I'm sure that was nothing more than an imperfect analogy - who the heck had so accurately measured the farmer's milking-machine initial skepticism anyway?

I don't think that people in this field have a problem going along with the costs and risks associated with pioneering and implementing new technologies but when the cast from the Little House on the Prairie tells me that they only need a little-little money to get their life-time engineering project started and they come up with a viral marketing campaign, testimonials of that sort, high-end commercials, social network and forum penetration, etc. something does not smell right.

That my dear friends is not the work of a peasant from Australia but rather that of a skillful marketing agency carefully orchestrating and monitoring every aspect of the product launch and I bet you they cost a lot more than what those gentlemen claimed they needed to finance their entire project. Buyers will be getting an overpriced gadget good for impressing picnic buddies on weekends - but beyond it...

It was the Buzz that got them the money and if their sincerity and product confidence induced behavior are an indication of what's to follow I am glad I'm not around when they start servicing the account.

All the best!

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
That my dear friends is not the work of a peasant from Australia but rather that of a skillful marketing agency carefully orchestrating and monitoring every aspect of the product launch
I would be inclined to disagree with that statement, I don't think you understand the culture. To me, the way they have marketed it would be exactly how a lot of those kind of Aussies would do it. Can't say for sure as I've never personally met them, but my gut is to believe them totally genuine.

I live in the neighbourhood, visit regularly, in fact just came home from Aussie last week and to prove it here's a link to video shot on my phone by my son in law when he and I came upon a mob of kangaroos while out on a bike ride. Can hear us talking if you pump the volume up a lot.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Unless people don't want to hear (and it kind of seems like maybe most don't want to hear) about how it's working out, I'll post progress.
I have just read through every post, all 73 pages. PicnicCreek, I would love to know how it is going.
I am sure I am not the only one who would like to know how this works out. I am sure there will be bumps and set backs along the way, but that is the case with any hive.

Since this is primarily a thread about the perceived failings of Flowhive by those who have never used it, how about you start a new thread dedicated just to telling us about your own experiences. I would greatly appreciate hearing from you how it works out, and I am sure there are others.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
Since this is primarily a thread about the perceived failings of Flowhive by those who have never used it, how about you start a new thread dedicated just to telling us about your own experiences. I would greatly appreciate hearing from you how it works out, and I am sure there are others.
Barry won't allow any other threads on the flow hive. It would get junked up like this one anyway.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Barry won't allow any other threads on the flow hive. It would get junked up like this one anyway.

[14-July]
Not to worry, the Flow Forums are soon to arrive!

[16-April]
I've been wondering when the new Flow Forum might appear. Ordinary people are starting to use the Flow™ frames.

There's a fair number of people in Beesource who've been paying attention and won't jump into the discussion with "first impressions" like we had back in April.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
683 Posts
There's a fair number of people in Beesource who've been paying attention and won't jump into the discussion with "first impressions" like we had back in April.
I think you'll end up eating those words. Just look at the bickering in the TF forum if you want to see what the Flow™ forum will look like.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I think you'll end up eating those words. Just look at the bickering in the TF forum if you want to see what the Flow (TM) forum will look like.
I didn't say that there aren't other people who like to bicker. It comes with the territory. For me the question is whether I can overlook the bickering and learn something from those who want more solid conversation.

If the idea is to have a space in Beesource to discuss Flow™ frames, this thread has outlived its usefulness. It's the butt of an ongoing joke about how long it is — which in itself is as bad as bickering.

For what it's worth, on my keyboard and a Mac, I get the trademark sign (™) with Option-2. Alt-Control-T might work on a PC. Not sure that ™ is precisely the right symbol, but I hate to see some folks in the Land Down-Under commandeer a perfectly good word like "Flow."

·
Registered
683 Posts
I didn't say that there aren't other people who like to bicker. It comes with the territory. For me the question is whether I can overlook the bickering and learn something from those who want more solid conversation.

If the idea is to have a space in Beesource to discuss Flow™ frames, this thread has outlived its usefulness. It's the butt of an ongoing joke about how long it is — which in itself is as bad as bickering.

For what it's worth, on my keyboard and a Mac, I get the trademark sign (™) with Option-2. Alt-Control-T might work on a PC. Not sure that ™ is precisely the right symbol, but I hate to see some folks in the Land Down-Under commandeer a perfectly good word like "Flow."
Thanks for the tip, i've updated my post with the proper ™ character.

·
Super Moderator
11,214 Posts
Those of you that think that this comment by Barry ...
Not to worry, the Flow Forums are soon to arrive!
... was meant to imply that he expects those Flow Hive threads/forums to be on Beesource.com should consider the thread with this post also by Barry:

Do NOT start another "Flow Hive" thread!!!!!!!!!!!!
:no::no::no::no::no::no::no:
(click the blue arrow in the quote box to see the original post/thread)

This current Flow Hive thread is an amalgamation of the various other Flow Hive threads that have been started. The message is quite clear - new Flow Hive threads will be deleted or consolidated into this one.

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
Made a lot of sense at the time, people kept jumping in and starting new flow hive threads, if you looked down the thread menu, every few threads there was a "have you heard about the flow hive" thread, if wanting to read seriously you had to plough through them all with endless duplication of posts and information.

Consolidating to one thread, complex as this thread is LOL, was still better than multiple threads all saying the same things.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
was still better than multiple threads all saying the same things.
There are very few unique threads on BS in general. Most are just rehashing the same questions and problems. Repetition is very much a part of a forum if the purpose is to discuss bees.

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
I would imagine that eventually Beesource may return to allowing the occasional new thread on it, same as with other topics.

Just, during the initial hysteria, there was no point having multitudes.

Flowhive is not the only topic that has had threads combined, I have seen it done to other threads on other topics when appropriate.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The frames arrived exactly one week after the boxes - and I'm extremely pleased not only with the quality, but the followup from the Flow team. (And for those who wonder if I'm just overlooking flaws, my entire career has been spent figuring out how people will break things and making sure those things won't break.)

As an example, the caps at the top of the flow frames, that give access for either opening the frames for honey to drain or close the frames back into honeycomb position - you cannot put the caps back on if you've forgotten to put the comb back into position. Much better to make it easy for people to do the right thing, versus manuals and reminders to try to help them remember. It's a thoughtful design detail. Another small example - what you cannot see in the picture but makes all the difference - on all latches there are small springs in-between the screw and the wood latch. This allows the latch to both be tight, but to swivel easily when you want to move it. Small things like that matter.

Quality is top notch - these boxes were shipped from BeeThinking in Portland, so they've obviously outsourced the manufacturing to local companies. That's important when you start dealing with shipping costs.

Because I received some of the first product, both Stuart and Cedar Anderson contacted me, along with another person who is front lines on Customer Service. They wanted details like how long it took to assemble, did I find anything hard to do (no), could instructions have been better (couple of examples & they've now updated) - very conscientious. There is a very active (closed) page on FB for supporters, run by a couple of long-time beeks, and my experience has not been unique.

Because of the early emails back and forth, I've had a small window into the lives of the people behind this product ... and without sharing details that are theirs to share, all I can say is I'm impressed at their commitment. It's not some slick marketers, but rather fulfillment of a dream and guys filled with wonder that it broke out like it did. They've not just focused on the product, but also are posting short, educational videos on their FB page, perfect for new beeks, slowly educating everyone about things like differences between worker bees, drones, spotting a queen, hive inspection, etc. They are taking this responsibility quite seriously. The manual, their videos, etc. all stress the importance of hive inspection and of connecting with your local beekeeping organization.

Sorry to say I have nothing to report regarding honey harvesting. Unfortunately, I live in Northern California and we have a bit of a drought situation going on right now. So I've decided to not put the new Flow frames (I have enough for two hives) and just focus on keeping my hives healthy through this mess. But I'm happy to share harvest experiences from the FB group in coming weeks.

A couple of pics:

As you can see, the front of the frames have protruding plastic, so it forms a solid viewing window, allowing you to harvest without actually opening the hive - no bees will be able to get through the front, though all the frames have normal space between them.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
Any New Zealand people on that facebook page? If there's anyone near me I'd love to take a look. Our spring and nectar flow starting in a couple months.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
PicnicCreek, maybe you can answer a question for me now that you have these frames. It seems that the frames or at least the end caps are held together with criss cross wires on each frame. If you take the frames apart are the wires reusable? How are the wires terminated?

1461 - 1480 of 2307 Posts