Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Extractor-less honey by Flow Hive

825K views 2K replies 255 participants last post by  clong 
Re: Extractor-less honey by- "Honey Flow"

Michael Bush is quoted on that site as saying ...

“Mind Blowing...It's not very often something is so revolutionary as to blow my mind...Saving 20% of harvest labor is not trivial, 40% is amazing, 60% is revolutionary. But 95%, that’s Mind Boggling!”
Since the only way that Honeyflow offers more information is if you give them your email address,:no: perhaps we could get Michael to confirm that he actually made the quoted comment, and offer us a few more details? :D

But Jim, you're not thinking like a modern entrepreneur! :p

Following on Acebird's excellent maple syrup business plan - you could run 'honey' lines to each of your hives, and just pump the honey directly into a tanker truck parked in the yard!

photo credit

Think Big!! :lpf:

No drums, no totes, don't even need a warehouse forklift - except to handle all the ca$h on its way to the to the bank!

Re: Flow Hive- this look interesting

If you ask me what I think of my new truck and I respond positively, is that being heavily promotional?
[
Mark, if your name and photo was shown on the Ford Transit (van) website and you were quoted as saying exuberant things about the Transit van, couldn't a reasonable person say that you were promoting the Transit van?

And if you allowed Ford to use your name and photo and words on the Transit website without compensation, I'd still think you were promoting the Transit van, but I might wonder about your business acumen in do so without a fee.:)

Re: Flow Hive- this look interesting

Here is what I think will happen: ... ... ... ... ... ...

I agree with you, Rob.
:)

(And while a few more paragraph breaks might have been easier to to read, at least your content made sense. I've seen plenty of other posts that don't:rolleyes: fit that criteria.)

Thats what 'BCC" is for. :)

'BCC' = Blind Carbon Copy. The multiple recipients can't see that you sent the same email to everyone at once. Your email client most likely can do BCC, but you may have to look at 'help' to see how if it isn't shown on your normal email interface/screen.

No, its not a reference to the size of the box. MB is referring to the respective size of the individual honey/brood cell(s).

Re: He bought a flow hive!

I see consolidation in the future. :rolleyes: :p

---------------

Update, for those of you confused by following the bouncing ball, posts #638-#642 were previously seen in a separate thread, and as a result of Barry's wizardry, are now seen here.

:shhhh:

Come on now Joel - some of the more forward thinking:rolleyes: posters above just have that honey pumped directly from the hive into the tanker truck sitting in the yard. No robbing at all! :lpf:

Warming a vat or any container so you can pump the honey I think is also within your capability.
Structure could be built and the land graded such that the hive were on the second floor and the first floor was the collection room.
So your forward thinking:rolleyes: vision is to either run electrical power to EVERY HIVE, or to build a dedicated building for hives at EVERY location where a commercial beekeeper has hives? :scratch:

Really?!?!? :lpf:

>> ...or even figure out how to take their pajamas off before getting into the shower?

Now you tell us...
Hey - a forward thinking:rolleyes: person might see that as a time saving system of getting your PJs washed at the same time you wash your body. Just think of the benefits - get rid of the washing machine, double use of the hot water from the shower, save on laundry detergent, no sorting of laundry .... :lpf:

If one is going to criticize a product, how about every beginners kit that comes with an entrance feeder. I know of no beekeeper that would use or recommend this for new beekepeers (they are fine for water).
Well Dean, there are plenty of Beesource threads where newbees are advised to skip the entrance feeders - but often they have purchased those feeders as part of a 'kit' - which are also typically discouraged by Beesource 'evaluators'.

Even by Michael Bush: :)

{Which beekeeping starter kit is the best?}​
IMO, none of them:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm

Basically there is NOTHING in a typical beginners kit that I would buy. At all.
different thread ...
The idea of a boardman feeder is defective... putting tempting syrup right by the door... but most of them are designed with that defect, that there is access without even rounding the corner of the door.
I can post lots more examples if you need them! :lpf:

(click the blue arrow in the quote box to see the original post/thread)

Re: Extractor-less honey by- "Honey Flow" - Flow Hive

Barry, the Bee Mine sure seems to spend a lot:rolleyes: of time sitting on that dock. We never see it in the water:p .... are you sure its seaworthy enough to make it to Australia? :lookout:

Ace, didn't you notice the 'bigscreen' on Barry's closeup photo of the Bee Mine? :p

... the Beesource channel is always the choice of discriminating connoisseurs ... and always 'on topic'

:shhhh:

You may not be able to autoclave it but you should be able to steam clean it.
The low point should be 266 F.
The actual MELTING point of polypropylene is not really important with regard to "steam cleaning" Flow Hive frames with AFB spores. The Flow Hive frames will be quite useless once the polypropylene merely DEFORMS:eek: under heat. The temperature that deformation occurs in polypropylene depends on the pressure applied, but keep in mind that a another term for "steam cleaner" is "pressure washer"! :D

According to the page linked:
http://www.matweb.com/reference/deflection-temperature.aspx
using a relatively common test of 0.46 MPa (°C), polypropylene deflection starts at 100 degrees C which is 212 F.

After spending hundreds of $$$ for Flow frames, steam cleaning them seems pretty risky. But maybe that's just me. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.