Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am going to purchase or build a new extractor this year. I’m trying to decide whether I want to upgrade to a bigger radial or pull the trigger on a horizontal and the associated uncapping/frame loading equipment.
Other than the option of automated loading, does the horizontal offer any advantage over a big radial? Since I don’t know what I don’t know, are there any other desirable characteristics of the horizontal?
* By “horizontal “ I mean something similar to a Cook & Beals/ Lyson mini line, etc. I’m not sure that I am using the correct vernacular.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Somewhere around 200 twice a year. I also do a little extracting for friends.
I’m trying to look forward, as I’ve grown every year. I know that either extractor is not necessary at this point, but I’m looking to cut time anywhere I can. Got too many irons in the fire.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
You might be well-served to re-post this on the Commercial forum. Much more relevant knowledge on big extractors and processing large amounts of honey over there.

My 2 cents, processing honey is only as efficient as your slowest component. I learned this when I upgraded my uncapper and then had to twiddle my thumbs waiting for my undersized extractor. If you've got a crew of people uncapping, handling cappings/wax, and moving honey, then a big extractor by itself may really improve things, but if you're running solo, or with little help, a big extractor may not yield much improvement just by itself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I’m a slacker. I haven’t done anything yet. Still trying to make up my mind.

Part of my problem is that I can build a better extractor than any I’ve seen on the market. That sounded arrogant. What I mean to say is I can build one like I want, can’t buy one like I want.
I want to build one but I don’t want to take time to do it.
Maybe I’ll throw one together in AutoCAD and let the local shop give me a quote.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts