Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a buddy of mine I got into Keeping last year. He needs an extractor and all the other goods. He called and said he was thinking about the Dadant Junior Bench Kit. An old timer gave me mine for free many years ago so I've really never done much research on them. He has 2 hives and will probably grow to 5.

I would let him borrow mine but he's 3 hours away so it's not that easy to just swing by and get it.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No club close to him that I know of. He's in the Abilene area.

·
Registered
293 Posts
for starters he could always just cut the cap off using a serrated knife; put in a tub upside down and drain for a few days. No need to get 100% of the honey as the bees will tidy up the frames once back in the hives. A cheap alternative.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
When it comes to extractors he should decide what his needs are to begin with. You say he's probably going to end up with 5 hives total. That's a good number. Now he should decide if he's ever going to extract the DEEP frames, or if he's only going to extract from shallow/mediums. The reason I say this is simply because some extractors will say that you can do both, but only the smaller is done radially requiring no flipping of frames while doing the DEEPs causes you to flip frames. Then there is the whole change the basket on the extractor thing on some of them to do the DEEPs. So it really depends on his needs, wants, and how much work he's going to put into it.

For instance, myself I in the end plan to only use deeps, i'm young, can handle the work, and don't want to have to super constantly. So the extractor that I have to get for my operation is one that will do deep frames. I don't want to have to constantly flip them, so the extractor has to be able to do the deeps radially. That means i'm going to have to get a larger extractor capable of handling many more frames than i will have, but on the other hand, when i do change to doing mediums it will be a no brainer to have ready.

So out of this what i would suggest is for him to sit down and figure out what his needs/wants are first then do the research based on that.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I got a maxant that handles 6 dadants and 3 deeps...radial and motorized.Seems to work OK and small enough to do just frames at a time and doesn't take up much storage space.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
for starters he could always just cut the cap off using a serrated knife; put in a tub upside down and drain for a few days. No need to get 100% of the honey as the bees will tidy up the frames once back in the hives. A cheap alternative.
Not a bad suggestion. If he uses a tupper maid tub he can clamp the frames in the bee box after de-capping and flip the box upside down and set it on top of the rectangular tub. In a warm room this will work good.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Have you ever done that? How has doing so worked out for you? How long does it take to drain one side of one comb using that method? A few days? I have a hard time imagining that draining honey from comb the way you describe works at all, not satisfactorily or timely.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>Have you ever done that? How has doing so worked out for you? How long does it take to drain one side of one comb using that method? A few days?

Since I have occasionally heard from someone who claims this worked for them I have to think there must be some very thin honey... it never worked for me. It never drained...

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
That's the only way I could see this working, thin honey. Anybody ever heard of surface tension.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Mann Lake bundle is $30 more but thier extractor is a 6 frame and Dadant's is 2 frame. Probably free freight on the Mann Lake too.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts

Yeah, this seems to pop up over and over as a viable way to get honey out of the comb. Many years back I tried this and nothing (well about 5 drops) came out overnight. Convinced that the folks on beesource must be right, I put the uncapped frame in a warmer another night, and still nothing. I can only conclude that this simply doesn't work.

Gravity has limitations, folklore does not.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv333/acebird1/Extractor/P1030989.jpg

Can you see how much is in the bottom of the bin and that is without flipping the box over so only 1/2 came out? Maybe it was thin, I don't know. I don't have a refractometer and it was my first year. There was some darker honey that did not come out of the cells.

For five hives I would wait to buy an extractor. I would at the very least have someone weld up a stainless cage mounted on a 3/4 shaft turned down so you can mount it in a variable speed drill and spin it free style in a 55 gal drum. At some point a used extractor will come up and you can decide to buy it if you are still into bees.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Have you ever done that? How has doing so worked out for you?
Did it once, never again. I think less than half drained from comb and that was after 3 days...one day being where I put it in my car for warmth. Biggest pain ever. If I didn't have an extractor I would crush and strain.

·
Super Moderator
11,268 Posts
One can use a tool like IFTTT.com to alert you when an extractor (or really anything) is posted on your local Craigslist.

If you want to use IFTTT, note that the the logo for Craigslist looks like a 'peace sign'. :) This will be useful in setting up your alert.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts