Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I did an extraction of a tennis ball sized hive, maybe 250 bees in all. It is currently in a nuc with a frame of honey and a robbing screen.

A few days ago I started a cone method trap out of a neighbor's wall. The 5 frames of the nuc now appear to be full with bees building comb, and there is still a lot of activity coming out of and trying to get into the wall.

I was going to swap out the nuc for a regular deep hive body to give them some more real estate, but thought it might make more sense, and be a fun experiment, to add some of the bees that I had trapped to the smaller hive. It's less than two miles, so I would keep them in the box for two days then do a newspaper combine.

The foragers I have trapped out would out number the tennis ball sized queenright hive 100:1.

Too much going on?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
With that much difference in size , and the queen right being the smaller, I would combine using a double screen, leave it in place for 7 to 10 days, then pull the screen out. If the stronger bunch were to eat through the paper too soon they may very well overwhelm the smaller colony and kill the queen.

cchoganjr

1 - 2 of 2 Posts