Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Use the round side of a spoon to smash the comb down to the foundation, and drain off the honey into a pan.

You can also do cut comb if you like comb honey.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I don't think OldForte (old loud) said he only got one frame of honey in the hive - just wants to get the honey from one frame. (if that is the case) I can understand wanting some of it. Only honey I got last year was some from cleaning off the comb before winter :)

Mike

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention - without crushing the comb - got plenty of honey - just want to make quick jar or two.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
"I forgot to mention - without crushing the comb.."

After uncapping, you could try putting it in an oven on top of a large pan. Elevate the bottom bar two or three inches. Of course, keep the oven at a temperature so the wax won't melt :doh: but warm enough so the honey flows somewhat easily--80-90 degrees?? It probably will take a few hours; maybe eight. You may have to empty the pan 2-3 times. Not all of it will come out. Give the frame back to the bees to clean the rest after doing both sides.

Honey certainly drips and runs out all over the place where you often don't want it, from cuts, nicks and scratches to the comb. Temps are often lower than 80-90.

I have not tried this ;). I'm sure it's not something commonly done by most beekeepers, but for a hobbiest? Try it--it will be your experiment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts