Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. This will be my second year harvesting honey. We’ve scheduled extraction for this Saturday. It was supposed to be warm, in the 80’s and sunny/cloudy but no rain. It’s now predicted to be raining fairly steadily for the day.
Can we still extract? It’s also supposed to be rainy on Thursday when we planned to install our bee escapes.
I know pulling the supers and inspecting them at the hives likely won’t happen if it’s raining. We’ll just bring everything back with us. And I know the bees are not going to be happy being opened up in the rain.
Other question is will the rain/humidity be a problem with the honey itself? Will we risk the honey absorbing too much moisture?
It looks fairly rainy for the next week.
What say the experienced beekeepers/honey extractors? Do you extract if it’s rainy?
Thanks! Dona in northeast Maryland

·
Registered
5,647 Posts
if the forecast is for rain we normally pull as much the day b/4 as we can, can't work the bees in the rain, but sure can extract just fine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
extracting on a rainy day would be great since you don't have to worry about unwelcome visitors trying to get their honey back! But unless you have a tent or something, working bees in the rain is not a good idea.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I know I'm a bit late to the post.... You could wind up with wetter honey by pulling supers in the rain. It's easy to set the boxes in front of a dehumidifier for a few days if the honey is too wet (just make sure you extract before you have a small hive beatle mess). You could time it to pull the supers on Friday (set escapes on Wednesday?) and just keep the boxes in your kitchen / honey house until Saturday (keep the Windows closed....). If it is bad weather when I pull honey I sometimes leave the escapes on after pulling boxes and go back asap when weather is better (ideally before they start drawing comb on the escapes....) What did you wind up doing and how did it go?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts