Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most out there, I'm just a hobbyist with a few hives. Do I have any options for extracting honey other than dropping several hundred for the equipment from a supplier?

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
855 Posts
Some of the local bee clubs have extractors for loan to their members. Maybe check into that or ask to borrow one from another beek or do the crush and strain.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Well you have two choices
1. you can buy an extractor for several hundred or more dollars...used is good. Might be able to check some of the Ag newspapers on line, or check to see if your bee supply has a bulletin board with listings
2. you can do the crush and strain method. Which too will cost alot of money, you just do not see it. The money lost comes from lost honey production due to the bees having to build wax. And it happens over a period of a few years. See it takes (wikiepidia) 8.4 pounds of honey to make a pound of wax. So, you lose the wax production and loose in honey production.

As for an uncapping tank, buy a plastic white wash stand sink, make a stand from 2x4's and place two boards across to hold the frames. Cheap and simple

·
Registered
93 Posts
Check youtube for some interesting extraction alternatives.
We used the crush and strain approach this year. It worked fine. Got about 100 pounds of honey.
We decided to go with the foundationless approach after we cut it all out in the extraction process. Problem is, they still haven't built the comb back yet on the mediums we gave back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I found if you put capped honey comb in the microwave for about a minute the honey will heat enough to run easily from the comb without melting the wax comb itself. I used a 4 cup / 1 quart measuring cup for this and easily extracted 3 gallons in just over a hour. You will have to play with the microwave timing to get the honey heated to the runny viscosity but once you have it its the same every time. Crush and strain is quicker but nuking the honey comb leaves your drawn comb whole and undamaged. Does not effect the flavor or color.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I bought the dadant 9 frame and if you were closer, would gladly let you use it. We did out 2nd extraction last night and so far have 4 gallons of honey. Ran out of Jars...LOL. Mind you we only had one hive in march and I left at minimum 3-5 frames/hive on them in the top super. I didn't touch the brood nest, which consist of 2 meds each and some have a deep and a med. This time the neighbors came over and help, it was awesome.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you try this let me know how it works for you . I'm the only one that I've ever heard of doing this .
Better living through science. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used the microwave method with honey comb pieces from a cutout.
Although I'm sure there are people who would try to fit in a whole frame

Wire and all.;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts