Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody rent thier extractor? How much do you charge? What are some down sides one might not think of until after having done it? Ive had a few people around Gainesvile( fly by nights) ask and I was just wondering what kind of experience others have had.
Thanks Matt

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I had an uncle who never, ever, loaned or rented tools or anything. I always thought that was kind of selfish and strange, until I had tools and equipment of my own. After the second time an item came back damaged, I understood uncle's point of view. I don't loan or rent for those reasons. I'll take the tools with me and do the work, but.... With an extractor, I'd do the work, charge a fee. No one maintains equipment like the owner, for better or worse.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
The local County extention office has 2 extractors, One is a small hand crank that Cost $5.00 to rent and a large electric one that Costs $15.00 to rent! Since i just started the bee packages this year i didnt have to go that route cause by the time they fill 2 deeps its close to the end of the flow. But if i have any honey to harvest next year thats my plans on extractor rentals!! To me thats a Great Price!! :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Once you reserved the extractor on a day that no one else is using it, i would reserve it on a friday and return it on monday. If i used the small hand crank extractor it would be $5 total, if it was the large electric extractor it would be $15 total. Here in Kentucky the state bought the hand crank just a few yrs ago, then the state bought the electric extractor which is larger and is able to extract more frames at on time. So IMO if its there im gonna use it!!..:)

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
We extract as a group at the USF workshops. Beekeepers can use the equipment there any time we meet. We are trying to get a trailer or portable building so it is always available. We are extracting on August 21st. This is the first time extracting for about 80 new beekeepers. Last year we extracted in September but only the teaching hives were producing then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts