Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building my (Brushy Mtn.) boxes and frames, and have noticed that when I fill a box with ten frames, and push them all flush against one side, there's an extra 3/4" or so of space remaining. All of them are that way -- I mean, they're consistent. I would think this would be a common issue. Do I need frame spacers?

My question, obviously, is what do I do about that? Nothing? It seems to me that I need to be careful that the frames are closely positioned to maintain bee space, no? If so, won't they put that extra space to use in a way that I find undesirable?

One other q., while I have some eyes: Why don't bees draw comb on the sides of the box? I'd think that would be agreeable real estate to them, no?

Many thanks for your help!

Mig

·
Registered
760 Posts
thats normal - you want to have some space in there to move the frames around a bit

it it was tight it would be a mess -

as the bees start work the frame wood will swell a bit from moisture and after a season that 3/4 will be about 1/2'' -

to make sure its right measure the outside it should be 16 1/4 X 19 7/8
if the lumber is 3/4 then then everything is right

·
Registered
201 Posts
Also, when you are done working in the hive, be sure to re-center the collection of frames to give equal space on each of the near and far side. What I do is use my hive tool along one wall to push all of the hives together against the far wall. Then I use the hive tool at the far wall to push the pushed-together frames a little over, leaving approx. the same amount of space along each of the 2 walls.

-- Steven

·
Registered
201 Posts
Steven, I read your blog and enjoy it.
Thanks for your kind words! I am now a 2nd year beekeeper, and used my blog to document what some of my experiences (and pictures) are. I figure if I am going to keep track of what is happening, I'll make it public to maybe help others (or solicit help for myself).

Cheers - Steven

1 - 6 of 6 Posts