Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked a guy bout getting some queens to re queen a few weak hives and he said he may have some this week. After getting that answer I ordered 5 queens from another. I get phone call today that the first guy has my queens ready to ship. Didn't know I was placing an order when I asked if he had any. I'm supposed to get the ones I actually ordered the end of next week.
Since I have extras coming I thought of doing some splits with them. With the nectar flow starting up how much should I rob from each hive to make up my 5 splits? Since im putting in a laying queen how weak can i make the splits? Afraid I may mess up my other hives if I rob to much during this flow. I'm in eastern nc. Thanks all!

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
A frame of emerging brood, which has a few open cells from them emerging, giving new queen place to lay as they emerge, a frame of stores, and a shake of nurse bees off of a frame of open larva, should be good enough as a flow starts.

·
Registered
535 Posts
What Ray said. They build up really slow when their this weak but as the flow is ending you can give them another frame of capped brood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts