Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 3 packages of bees shipped to me yesterday. Almost 100% dead on arrival. As of this morning one queen who was still in her queen box and her attendants that are with here are all that are alive and showing good vigor. I dont want to do a split yet with my only hive that I have currently. Temperatures arent that favorable the next few days and that hive is at average strength so hate to rob brood from them at this time. What do I do with this extra queen? Any way of keeping her alive in the long term if I leave here caged? I have heard talk of banking queens and not sure how that works and if it would cause chaos if I leave her caged and put her in the active hive.

Thank you

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Keep in a warm,dry,dark place. Make sure she has water and sugar water available or give a few drops a day. Closet works well. J

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Keep in a warm,dry,dark place. Make sure she has water and sugar water available or give a few drops a day. Closet works well. J
All these imply having 3-4 worker bees along with the queen.
The attendants to actually feed and water her.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Find a beek close to you who could use her, and sell or give her to that person, or maybe they can help you with a nuc from their hives for your orphaned queen. As to all your DOA bees, I'd definitely be asking for a refund!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are working to replace the dead packages. According to the supplier the problem was wide spread and they lost a few hundred packages as a result of how UPS handled them in transit. I have the queen in a dark, warm room and she is doing fine at this point. Gave the box a few drops of sugar water as well as they still have the candy plug in the end. I will probably reach out and try to find a local bee keeper that will trade me the queen for another in future when I can do a split of my own.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Do a small 1 frame split and put them in a 2 frame Nuc. Fairly quick to make.
Ideally take a frame with a little patch of brood, mostly capped, some pollen and nectar. It won't set back your main hive much at all.

Can add another couple of frames of brood later when the Main flow starts and its time to move the Nuc to another box. So that it has little impact on the honey crop.

Have a look at Barnyard Bees on YouTube to see how David does it.
2 Frame Queen Mating Nuc What they are for and Plans to make them:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WiEp0O3zMqg

·
Registered
297 Posts
the 10 pkgs I installed yesterday had one dead queen. Pkg broker 1/2 hour away had x-tra queens because he runs into this every year with the truck load he orders. Picked up a queen for that hive and an additional queen for a mean hive I want to requeen next week. Put this queen into a 3 frame Nuc with 2 frames of feed and one mt frame. 2 shakes of bees and queen in the box so they can take care of her for a week. Good Luck
Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts