Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did two walk away splits from my two hives that made it through the winter. I did each splits was given four frames of eggs/ larvae/capped brood and honey. I have read that you need to eave the hives alone for four weeks. each hive has the entrance reducer with the smallest opening being used. Today there were 15-20 bees coming and going or fanning at the opening. I didn't see pollen coming in. What are some more signs to look for? I do not want to go in the hive since it's recommended to leave them bee. Thanks Hoss

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
When did you make the splits? I will check for queencells in a week, then leave em alone after that.
A young queen will sometimes be killed by workers who blame her for the disturbance you are causing when you check the hive. It takes 11-12 days for the queen to emerge after the split is made. Once she has her own workers, she is safe. It has happened to me when I checked too early. That's my observation and also what I've read on here. I hope others with more experience will add to this.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
So you split them on April 3rd. They will have a virgin queen by Apr 15 (from a four day old just hatched larvae). They should have a laying queen by Apr 29th most likely and by May 6th at the latest. A frame of emerging brood could give them a boost in the meantime and a frame of eggs and open brood is cheap insurance in case something has already gone wrong and to keep them busy rearing some brood.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts