Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to try new things. I have no expectation that they will all work out to be the best new thing, but it's fun, and I always learn something.

I think this year I'm going to try the Demaree Method on a hive or two - or rather a Demaree Method - there are several versions on the net.

I'm in the middle of a plan I started last year to produce some nucs for sale - which looks like it is going to work out. Part of the experiment is deciding if it is sustainable (in terms of drawn comb replacement mostly) and profitable. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I want to set up a few nucs or hives with narrow frame pf100's.... The hardest part will getting the frames drawn for me as I've never had much luck with plastic. I've got some S. scimitus on order as well, and will set up a few hives to monitor as well since I can get them cheaply.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hardest part will getting the frames drawn for me as I've never had much luck with plastic.

Strong hives + good flow - They just have to need to do it, but it isn't really a problem.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
That's what I hear David, problem is, I don't typically get a strong flow long enough to pull out a lot of frames. I guess I'll have to use plan B, and just feed the heck out of them and hope for the best.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I have 8 overwintered hives (as of yesterday anyway) and not wanting to make splits, am considering some form of Demaree method for swarm control. I am going to make up a couple of Snelgrove boards which is a method similar in effect to Demarreeing but adds optional doors for sorting bees back to the lower box or giving an entrance for virgins to fly from or running the top box as the second queen hive. I want all hives to requeen and cause brood breaks. Here is a link to an article and general plan.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...=pY49OtAEc_usKn4qqIiepw&bvm=bv.62578216,d.aWc

·
Registered
454 Posts
I also would like to try something similar to what Crofter is doing but will use two queen boards and excluders that I already have on hand. The idea is to make a split and raise the new queen above the original hive and running a two queen system then separating them for overwintering.
I will also be making up some six frame nucs to winter outdoors.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Was wondering David, what version of Demaree you propose?
The version crofter references ,seems to be a method of splitting a hive verticaly to
avoid swarming. Here is another version that uses a queen excluder to seperate a double
queen hive, which would make quite a hive--I think for both brood generation and honey.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?267801-Demaree-on-the-fly&highlight=demaree+method

My self- I would like to try a parellel nuc system like Michael Palmer used to generate
brood and drawn comb to support production hives...

==McBee7==

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Was wondering David, what version of Demaree you propose?
The version crofter references ,seems to be a method of splitting a hive verticaly to
avoid swarming. Here is another version that uses a queen excluder to seperate a double
queen hive, which would make quite a hive--I think for both brood generation and honey.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?267801-Demaree-on-the-fly&highlight=demaree+method

My self- I would like to try a parellel nuc system like Michael Palmer used to generate
brood and drawn comb to support production hives...

==McBee7==
Something like this: Swarm Prevention by Demaree method

Also sqkcrk (I think) suggested somewhere on here that if during a good flow you move capped brood above an excluder and replace it with foundation you could probably get both comb and honey from the process. I don't think he was even claiming to have done it, just that it might work. Sounds interesting - and simple - enough to me to give it a whirl. Not the Demaree method, but similar in that it separates the queen from brood. I thought it might be worth exploring as a possibility for comb poor second year beekeepers who need comb, but want honey. At the very least it should concentrate the areas that need to be monitored for swarm cells.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm going to try the cut down split on one hive this year. For anyone who's not familiar it's where you pull one queen and a couple frames to start a nuc and combine the rest of her bees and brood to another hive. This has to be done at the beginning of the flow.
Woody Roberts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I am going with 9 frames in my honey deeps.
And use nucs as brood builders and frame builders.
Run my first TBH :scratch:
And maybe collect some pollen off one hive.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've been intrigued by the long hives of Fedor Lazutin, where the frames are equivalent to two deeps in area. I'm trying to make up my mind to do it. The problem I have with it is that I'm one of those unfortunate people who can't just have a hobby. I have to try to make it pay for itself. I'm not that interested in producing honey. Producing bees seems a lot more interesting. One problem with the Lazutin hives is that you don't get standard deep frames you can use to make up nucs.

Still cogitating.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here is my experiment for the summer. Last year I over wintered one nuc for each hive I have, which is not a lot, I only keep five hives. So this year I wanted to come up with an easy queen rearing method. Here is my invention, I made a new 5 frame nuc, then I made 2 mini nucs that fit on top of the 5 frame nuc. My plan is to place the two mini nucs on top and when the frames are drawn out simply remove them and let each mini nuc raise the new queens. I will just let them raise them by themselves. When they are capped I will remove them and place them in new nucs.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been intrigued by the long hives of Fedor Lazutin, where the frames are equivalent to two deeps in area. I'm trying to make up my mind to do it. The problem I have with it is that I'm one of those unfortunate people who can't just have a hobby. I have to try to make it pay for itself. I'm not that interested in producing honey. Producing bees seems a lot more interesting. One problem with the Lazutin hives is that you don't get standard deep frames you can use to make up nucs.

Still cogitating.
Maybe you should cogitate on selling nucs next spring - or the one after - If you want to get in the black by producing bees. Or rear queens. Either way, you are talking about trying to increase hive and comb count by as much as possible for a while.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm going to try the cut down split on one hive this year. For anyone who's not familiar it's where you pull one queen and a couple frames to start a nuc and combine the rest of her bees and brood to another hive. This has to be done at the beginning of the flow.
Woody Roberts
I've done it and it works. One thing though - make sure that there aren't a bunch of swarm cells present when you make the split or the honey hive can issue virgin swarms. Remove all but a few on one frame - shake off bees and look for cups too. If there is even one in the little queenright split it's apt to swarm too.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am going to try a Tower Hive. I want to see if I can get some honey for myself. Usually I end up leaving the honey collected on the hives for over wintering. I typically run two deeps and don't get much reserve honey in the supers. "They" say the two hives will put up more honey collectively vs. individually. I am also wanting to try splitting my hives in summer to over winter in order to replace my dead outs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Maybe you should cogitate on selling nucs next spring - or the one after - If you want to get in the black by producing bees. Or rear queens. Either way, you are talking about trying to increase hive and comb count by as much as possible for a while.
Yeah, it'll be years yet before I'd think about selling anything, but I don't want to make any detours unnecessarily.

·
Registered
136 Posts
This winter I have made some 5 frame double nucs to try and grow my apiary . I have never made a split so it should be fun . I want to raise my own queens for them from my existing hives . hopefully I will have stock to work with this spring .........

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I think this year I'm going to try the Demaree Method on a hive or two - or rather a Demaree Method - there are several versions on the net.

I'm going to do the same, sounds great in theory. Just prior to them getting swarmy, demaree and we get to keep the bees in the boxes, out of the trees. But, everything I've read on the subject, there is that hidden assumption, when giving the bees empty frames, it is implied one should use drawn frames. This is the first time we will have drawn frames to work with for management, so it adds a whole new twist to the plans.

Our plan, demaree variations early for swarm management, then cut down splits leading into the main flow. Sounds great in theory, but, time will tell how close that theory matches up to reality. I'll let you know in August.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
We are hoping to try something that is routine to many and like jumping off a cliff for us...making splits (making nucs) and learning to graft. For now raising the queens in Queen builder hives...still many steps farm using an incubator. All the while producing enough honey to retain our newly acquired farm status:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts