Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I have a few that I have run with solid bottom bars and the thin split top bars from Walter T. Kelley. They work for cut comb. I prefer everything the same size boxes, so mostly I'm using mediums for cut comb and I just cut the best piece I can get and scrap the rest for crush and strain. I get more perfect combs that way than with the extra shallow boxes, but it takes less lumber and there is less wasted comb with the extra shallow boxes.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
4 3/4 extra shallows are the same as supers for basswood comb squares. the old ones had both the tin lower strips plus a ledge for extra shallow frames. you could mix frames and squares in the same box at the same time. it was a long time ago in the 1960, but it seems like the extra shallows did not have much comb area per frame. a lot of wood and bee space for the comb area. with plain thin foundation they could be cut for "bulk comb" that is the whole comb cut and put in the jar and then the jar filled with honey, awful easy to sell back then for top price. you really do not need to pin or wire these. mann lake uses 4 3/4 supers for their top feeders... last fall I found a couple of 8 and 10 frame supers that are so old that they have brass tags from a bee supply house in boston mass. I had never seen any 8 frame stuff for basswood squares before. last fall I made 1/2 dozen new 10 frame ones, I was going to see if I still have the touch for the squares. walter Kelley is the only current source for this type of stuff that I know of... yeah, I know where the old supers came from no AFB.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>but it seems like the extra shallows did not have much comb area per frame. a lot of wood and bee space for the comb area.

That's why the thin split top bars work well. They have only about a 1/4" of wood at the top instead of an inch or so. You get a lot more comb area per frame this way.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
it makes sense that thin split top bars would work well here. you want to use these extra shallows for quick filling during a heavy flow on a strong colony to avoid a stuck together propilis mess. avoid leaveing them on too long. have a part filled super above them when you put them on.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I use these for hives I have on a 2nd story deck. We blow the bees out and then hand them over to a guy below on a ladder, so the lighter the better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts