Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Langstroth hives would "normally" go on top. I believe Warre goes to the bottom. Bees in the wild in a tree cavity usually would build down, Top bars / Longhives build sideways. Take your pick but I add to the top except honey supers..I bottom super just for my own convenience. This is one of those questions where you might get many opinions.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
So I start with one deep but once I need to expand do I add the new deep on the bottom or on top?
That depends on temperature especially night time temp. Cooler temperatures make a strong argument for putting the empty between the cold ground and the cluster. Bees in nature normally work down when establishing a new nest. Since first year queens and colonies do not tend to swarm unless crowded, there is not downside to adding the second brood box underneath. I advise whether adding your second box up or down you move a drawn frame with some wet brood to the middle of the added box. The bees will feel the need to fix their brood nest and will start working in this strange new area. Please do not inflict on your new colony the un natural chilling appliance called a screened bottom board! Bees need to maximize available heat to rapidly build their new nest. Bees often will not work in the bottom box of a hive placed over one. No matter where you choose to put your second, reduce your bees entrance to better enable them to defend and climate control their space.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I agree with Vance if you are adding a box when its cool still then under the brood is better in my opinion.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,451 Posts
So I start with one deep but once I need to expand do I add the new deep on the bottom or on top?
best answer "it depends"
cool or warm in cool weather adding space above may not be optimal, better under.
comb or foundation comb over would be used for honey storage, comb under would be more likely brood
strong hive or average hive very strong hive you have more room for error, weaker hive not so much.

so what are your daytime temps and night time temps?

Comb or foundation or Foundation less?
how many frames of bees.

GG

·
Registered
610 Posts
On top, and pull some frames up from the lower box into the center of the top. Or on the bottom, your choice.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bill, I said it would be controversial, "it all depends" is a great answer. Since beekeeping methods are controlled by locality, all of the above could be correct for you. Even in the same yard a hive that gets the most sun / warmth could be different than one partially shaded and in the wind. Make you a plan and try a box under and on another hive put your box over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts