Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently i heard that "excluders kill queens". Is this a correct statement? Does it possibly depend on the style of excluder? Ive never had this happen with my hives.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: Exculers Kill Queens?......is this true?

I've never had it happen in my hives either. The only way I can imagine an excluder being responsible for the loss of a queen would be in winter if the excluder is left on and the cluster moves through it to stores, leaving the queen behind. Then she could freeze or starve. But I cannot imagine any other scenario in which the queen might be damaged by an excluder.

Has anyone had any other experience with a queen being killed or injured by an excluder?

Rusty

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

On one occasion I had placed a queen above an excluder to confine her to the top box, and when I checked again 4 days later, she had become wedged by her thorax between the wires and was dead.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts

>Recently i heard that "excluders kill queens". Is this a correct statement?

I've only once found a queen stuck in an excluder. She was still alive and I got her to back up and got her out. I've never found a dead queen in an excluder. I see no evidence of queens getting stuck being a common problem.

·
Registered
652 Posts

i wonder if it was in context to winter.. having an excluding on and not being able to reach the cluster...?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts

"excluders kill queens"???

Yes, if you drop it on her. Otherwise ,I have found them to be rather inatement(sp?), and harmless.

Crazy Roland

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts

>i wonder if it was in context to winter.. having an excluding on and not being able to reach the cluster...?

That would make sense. Yes, leaving one on in the winter can result in a dead queen.

·
Registered
127 Posts

When i hive a swarm i will put an excluder between the Hive body and the bottom board. I found a dead queen in one of mine one time when I pulled excluder out after a couple days of hiving that swarm. She was probably a virgin queen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts