Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is best: to have the wires of the queen excluder at a right angle to the frames or parallel with the frames?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I may be off on a limb here but I don't think it will work so well if you put the 16 inch length in the 20 inch direction. That should settle which way the wires run don't you think ?:lpf:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
there are proponets that say turn them sideways on the premise that the queen stays in the center of the hive and shes the only one you want to block-the workers can go around instead of through. i just use a top entrance to the hive. goodluck,mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha....ha.....ha! Very funny - but not the reply I was hoping for. As for being out on a limb - just make sure that you are not sitting on the one that is being sawn off.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I have placed some sideways in the past (hives that for whatever reason are reluctant to go through the excluder, and there's always a few of them). Some the queen would get up into the supers, most did not. Not sure if it makes much of a difference though in the bees going up into the supers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It seems that the question was not clear enough. I have excluders where the wires are from side to side (16 inches) and others that are from end to end (20 inches) therefore the side to side ones are at right angles to the frame top bars and the end to end ones are parallel with the frame top bars - do you think that this makes any difference to the bees using or storing honey in the supers? One experienced beekeeper near me said that the side to side type are better even though it causes a problem to insert strips like Checkmite.
What do you think? Any difference?
Thanks
Oly

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nope, didn't understand the question I guess. But no, shouldn't make any difference which way the wires run. As for the comment from the "experienced beekeeper", I hope you are not putting in Checkmite strips with an excluder (and honey supers on).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy runs the hives with the excluder on all the time (lazy?)- even when there are no supers and of course he is not going to treat with supers on!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I haved heard of turning the excluder sideways to allow the workers freer access to the upper supers, but I would think that since queens often go through excluders w/ bent wires why wouldn't they also just go around an excluder that was oriented across the hive?

If you really want to give more access to the upper supers to the workers why don't you use an excluder that I saw in use in a hive owned by an Amish guy whose hives I was inspecting many years ago in Ohio? He had a round piece of slate about the size of a dinner plate placed above the brood boxes. The queen was down stairs, so who can say whether it will work or not? It probably does more times than not. And if that's enuf for you, go for it. Personally, if I'm going to use an ecluder I want it to be effective closer to 99% of the time than 60% of the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts