Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered the new queen rearing book the horizontal-hive site and they accidentally shipped the 2nd edition of Smile. The order was cleared up and I got the Queen book (excellent btw) but kept the Smile book just to irritate myself. ;-)

I’ve kept bees 10 years now in 8 frame medium Langs with really good results in Eastern US zone 6b but at 3000’. Am often irritated with the ‘be a lazy beekeeper’ ‘let bees be bees’ proselytizing when it means hands-off unmanagement (which simply doesn’t work in this region...except for the sellers of replacement bees).

I’ve managed to completely avoid using any chemical treatments in my 10 years but it requires a lot of attentive management.

Also the ‘this magical box shape.. which you can buy on my website..will magically cure all the ills facing kept bees...’ trend is so disheartening to see lapped up by new beekeeper who dont know any better — versus the deep dive of learning and practice imo that long term beekeeping requires.

So I skimmed through a lot of happy-talk text ...but got super interested in the single level hive designs as my back isn’t in great shape

AND given my experience of what DOES work well in my mountainous microclimate I believe I could used a single level design with extra deep frames ( depth needed tbd) and it would be extremely well suited for the peculiarities of my setting.

I have a ton of lang 8 frame medium equipment and drawn comb so will be experimenting with adapting some of that equipment to a hybrid type Layens (thanks Greg!!) and then comparing the results to a insulated Layens hive built from scratch.

Luckily a lot of the comb is on plastic foundation (with wooden frames) which seems fairly simple to cut up and insert in extra deep frames (not sideways).

Only bummer may be figuring if I can still use my traditional extractor somehow.

Just wanted to say HELLO and thanks for your posts which I have been reading with interest. Thanks especially to those who post pictures too as that is super helpful. Will be learning right here along with many of you.

All the best, Leigh

Reactions: GregB

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm with you. GregV was kind enough to post this about his design. I, too, have all medium equipment. The zip tied frames look like they will work out nicely, can still be extracted and no new equipment to buy/build. I'll splice my new medium frames to make open frames for brood of the same dimensions as 2 ziptied frames(basically just eliminating the original bottom). Rather than building a long box from scratch, I'm going to cut 3 mediums and splice them back together, staggering the joints from one to the next.

Hybrid modified Layens.

·
Registered
282 Posts
That was not entirely clear. I'll cut 3 mediums at different spots on the sides... top box to the left of the handhold, middle box to the right of the handhold, bottom box to the left of the handhold. again. I'll add extensions in and splice back together with biscuits or dado the splice locations. With the added support of the top frame rest and plywood shimming, it should be plenty strong enough. I'm looking to try this without a significant investment in more equipment... I have plenty of medium boxes so might as well use them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts