Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a single hive of bees in a neighbor's orchard. He swears that the bees are bothering his customers and getting on the food that they are eating. For example, he says that they are going after the peach syrup that is on the pancakes they serve.

Anybody ever seen that before? I have been telling him that it is much more likely that it is yellow jackets that are going after and stinging his customers.

don

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
We've all seen it before. Anyone trying to eat peach syrup around honeybees is asking for trouble. Assuming this post is on the level, Does your neighbor want his orchard pollinated or does he want to serve pancakes there?

Hawk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This post is on the level. I have never seen bees bother folks for food. I have four hives about 20 yards from my front deck and we have never been bothered eating out on the deck. But then again, I have never eaten peach syrup on pancakes ouit there.

The orchard I have my bees at also serves food. They serve breakfast and lunch. My hive is about 100 yards from his shop and he also has an observation hive right in his shop. He is blaming my bees for bothering his customers. The hive that I put over there is actually a very small hive that I started from a swarm in early July. So if bees are bothering his customers, I would guess that they are coming from his observation hive.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
66 Posts
acually, my bees have been bad about going after soda. if you open a pepsi outside within one minute they are trying to go down the can opening. we have to cover the top with the other hand. it is kinda a pain in the but. i know someone is going to reply "but if you would just feed your bees that wouldn't happen...." but i do feed my bees syrup all the time. i know my neighbors must be having a problem. but i have yet to hear about it.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Most of the time It's too darn hot here to do much of anything outside, especially eat.

---

Might be an idea if you screened your colony shut tonight and then went over to eat those peach syrup pancakes. If the bees show up dab them with a little fluoresecent fingernail polish and watch them go back to his observation hive.

Nothing like first-hand observation to shut them up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great idea Joe. I might just try it.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
USUALLY I've found yellow jackets are the culprit, but occasionally in a dearth bees can get pretty pushy about sweet things ESPECIALLY if they can find them on a regular basis and especially if they are very high in sugar. Like peach syrup in the trash can?

·
Registered
971 Posts
My guess is yellow jackets, is he SURE they are honey bees??? Many people I've met mistake yellow jackets for honey bees. Ahhhhh, the un-educated, or should I say, the mis-informed. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is definitely not a dearth right now. Our main flow is just tapering to a close, but there are still plenty of blossoms available.

I need to go over and sit to actually observe this supposed harassment of his customers by my bees. I told him right away that I suspected yellow jackets, but he insists that they are my bees. I am going to move them back home soon anyway, but was truly surprised to hear that my bees were anything but well-mannered. It is funny how defensive we can be about our little critters.

·
Registered
971 Posts
;) Ask him if he saw your "mark" on them ;) I brand mine with my name, address and phone number and an emergency contact number, also their doctors name and pager#. Hard to tell one from another, ;) LOL, LOL, LOL. ;)
wink, wink, nod, nod

1 - 11 of 11 Posts