Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have mentioned here about my hive that had 2 queens. Initially when i got them, they had a nice marked queen, and they never ever built up like the other Nuc i got from the guy the saem time. The other Nuc is 4 meds now and these gals aren't even out of a deep yet. I can't tell you how many times they have replaced her since i hives them in april. I'd say this is probably the 5th time they have replaced the queen. All FINALLY seemed to be well the other day minus the 3rd queen i found and put back into her own hive(she is fine and laying).

Upon inspection last night, their were cells everywhere, and still 2 queens. I am thinking they are going to swarm ASAP as BOTH queens were VERY slimmed down and the amount of cells they have is crazy. They are not capped yet, but will be today I am sure. I am going to split them today, both queens intact to see if this calms some things down, but what would you do about them always wanting to requeen? They LOVE to requeen. Would you change the genetics of this line? They have never swarmed, just requeen aafter a couple week sof the other queen laying. I could pull brood from another Russian hive and destroy all the cells they have at this point. Yes, they have plenty of room with drawn med comb above them. If i don't do something, they will not even have a chance here even though we have mild winters for the most part.

dev

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hi Dev,

Pure speculation on my part - it would seem that the bees are not happy with the quality of their queen(s). Since the mother to daughter genetic trail is passing along genes the hive isn't happy with, it might make a bunch of sense to have them make a queen using the genetics of your other hive.

My first experience with Russians is now in the stay away from the hives while the queens are released and accepted stage.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welp, I just split them with the new queen. i am going to give both splits a day, then snatch the queen cells out of the old russian hive, then add frames of brood from my good russian hive. Just as an experiment, I am going to leave the 2 queens in the split.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts