Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in a matter of hours? I cut a hive out of a house 2 weeks ago and have been peeking in on them every day without protection..... I have a table/hivestand right behind them by my rabbit pens and have been using it for a work bench to DR. one of my rabbits eye(got ear mite solution in it so I am flushing it and putting antibiotic drops in it) for a week. today at 11 am my oldest son and I went to peek in on them...everything fine...at 3:30 my youngest son and went ti DR rabbit and just about the time we put her on the table bees started buzzing and stung him in the forehead and followed us about 20 feet from the hive.. Sun shine 81 degree temps so not thinking weather is the problem. just never seen them get that aggressive that fast.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Some days mine are as sweet as could be. Most days as a matter of fact. Other days I threaten to throw gas on them and set them on fire. I won't of course.
They are female you know!:)

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
They may just be getting organized and defending their new home territory. Could be one old sore head. Is the hive queen rite? Sometimes queenless hives get a little ornery. This colony may have to go further away from the house or be requeened if the defensiveness keeps up.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Being followed for 20 feet isn't all that aggressive, being followed 100 feet is starting to be aggressive.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Orientation flights can at times upset a guard bee or two, I think the guards can get overwhelmed by the large number of bees coming and going and will attack whatever they think is disturbing the hive. I took a sting on the ear lobe today while watching an orientation flight, it wasn't the first time this has happened and probably won't be the last.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Three days ago i was watching my bees during orientation flights. Stood right in front of the hives, no problems at all. Go back to check their feeders an hour later, standing behind the hives and nearly got popped in the head by a guard bee. Decided to suit up to go back and fill their feeders. Funny thing is after going back all suited up to feed them, NOT 1 came anywhere close to me. Gotta love those girls.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Ive had some that would follow you 300 yards.

Now that's an aggressive hive! Sounds a bit MEAN to me. My dad tells me stories about his beekeeping days and the "Black Bee".. Said they were so mean they'd see you out in the yard and start stinging you without cause. That's about all there was here in WV from the wild swarms 50 years ago.

·
Vendor
5,288 Posts
You have 50,000 plus females in a hive. Now don't ya think SOME of em might just be a little testy? I've got a wife and daughter in my home and at times either or both of them get "testy."

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
are they queenright, how storng or weak are they, how much stores?

Did any brood survive the cutout?
From and inspection I did a week prior they had 1 complete frame of nectar and pollen the frame next to it was 1/2 side of nectar and pollen and the other 1/2 was all brood. these are the only two frames I pulled. The cut out was more like a swarm catch under a raised house..they lady went out of town on a monday morning and returned on wednesday night to bees buzzing around her head as she went in her door...I say cut out as they had already gotten in the sub floor of the house. there was no brood, they only had 4 combs with the larges being about 4 inches and had very little stores

1 - 13 of 13 Posts