Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I placed a hive on a nearby blueberry farm last weekend. I just went by a few minutes ago to check on it. It's sitting under an acorn tree, so I didn't think anything of it when I approached and saw a couple of acorns on the landing. When I opened it though, there were probably (50) or so down one side (all under frame number 1). The hive is angled pretty well towards the front, so I know that these did not roll back inside. I HAD no entrance reducer on there. I added one just now. Anyone ever found this same thing? Do you think it was a rat or chipmunk?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Probably not rat, would be more damage and they don't store things quite in that neat fashion. Never found such in any of my hives, but I did do a cut out way up inside an eave of an old farm house once, that had a cluster of acorns completely covered in propolis at the bottom of the hive.

JC

·
Registered
7 Hives of Apis mellifera with some Africanization
5,531 Posts
It's just the horticulturist in me talking, but I've never heard of an accord tree, and acorns are the seeds of oak trees.

I'm gonna guess squirrel or possibly chipmunk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.