Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the large European hornets (not the giant Asian murder hornets), very common in Tennessee? Are they much of a threat to honey bee hives?

·
Registered
62 Posts
They are in Tennessee, not sure how common they are. They have lived in the eastern US since the 1880's. Honeybees can defend themselves from the European hornet.
This video may make you feel a little better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmGLUKmhYXE&feature=emb_logo

I'm in Georgia. I tried some wax moth traps and have trapped numerous wax moths and hundreds of wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, and ,strangely enough, those large horseflies. I put two up at the beginning of September near my hives and renew the bait once a week.
Supplies
Empty 2-liter soda bottle (or two smaller bottles, like a sports drink bottle)
1 banana peel
1 cup vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 cup hot water

Cut a small hole in the empty soda bottle right below the shoulder, about the size of a quarter. Put hot water and sugar in a glass bowl or jar and mix together. Using a funnel, pour the sugar water and vinegar into the bottle. Then put the banana peel into the bottle. Put the lid back on the bottle. It will ferment and draw the moths to it.

Hang it in your apiary but several feet from your hives, the goal is to lure them away from the hives.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts