Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was listening to this video;

At around 25 minutes in she starts talking about Foulbrood, European Foulbrood and the others like American Foulbrood. There was something she said that caught my ear/eye, whatever. She said around there that often foulbrood, european foulbrood is a spring disease.

When she said that I just had this idea... in the crossover from winter to spring, there's a lot of dead bees in the hives. And this disease is from early spring.

Could it be possible that the European Foulbrood has a link between the build up of the dead bees being caught in the hive, without the bees being able to get them out fast enough? It just so happens also that people know clean out the bees but prior to advanced technology like cars they might not have been able to get to that fast enough, which was when foulbrood was more prevalent.

Anyway, I can't prove this but it is an idea.

And with mammals disease skyrockets when you have corpses laying around. With entomology it may be less so because they have the carapace like bodies. But to some extent they should have some bacteria exposure also where bodies are around.

I'm curious what others might think about this. And also hoping this is a positive contribution by bringing this up.

A side question but less important; at 33:01 to 33:10 she says that when the queen lays drones in worker sized cells it means she's failing. I wanted to ask if there are exceptions to that? Could it be possible that the queen just makes a mistake every once in awhile? (When you see drone comb and its not near the bottom, or where it should be.)

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,803 Posts
Could it be possible that the queen just makes a mistake every once in awhile?

that is how "failure" starts once and a while then more often then all the time.

if you back track from "queen failure" you get to partly failed, then beginning to fail, then to the first or second oops.

as far as the "spring" thing,, you also have cold nights and brood rearing starting. so if they expand too fast and a cold snap comes along some of the nest chills , so that could also be the spring link. you would need to confirm FB has the dead bees in the hive, good reason to keep notes :)

GG

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it be possible that the queen just makes a mistake every once in awhile?

that is how "failure" starts once and a while then more often then all the time.

if you back track from "queen failure" you get to partly failed, then beginning to fail, then to the first or second oops.

as far as the "spring" thing,, you also have cold nights and brood rearing starting. so if they expand too fast and a cold snap comes along some of the nest chills , so that could also be the spring link. you would need to confirm FB has the dead bees in the hive, good reason to keep notes :)

GG
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I don't know, but I do believe they are more vulnerable in the spring and that EFB has been turned around with good nutrition, a good queen and some good luck. Of course, it never really goes away, but like most things, a strong hive can overcome many obstacles. J

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
the "new" EFB doesn't always folow the old books rules... Ie it killing my hives mid flow in the summer.

take a look at the common non cemical managements
"it will go away with the flow"
shook swarm
requeen

in all cases it fixes the "spring" problem of the hive streaching to cover as much brood as they can by increasing the nurse bee to brood cell ratio buy removeing the brood or creating a break/slow down

Reactions: Tarheeler

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
mostly gone, took about 3 years haven't see it this year I am guessing mite wipe out of a nehobores yard (100' away) this winter and freezing of his equipment removed the source.. he "never saw" EFB in his hives, at only 100' for me, I guarantee he had it, and his imported nucs were likely the orgonial source of the areas infection

Reactions: Fivej
1 - 8 of 8 Posts