Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found different smell to coming out from my hive 5days back. I took it normal. Today I went again and found dead black larva in the hive. They were little black. I came to know it's European foul brood after doing little research in internet. Now my question is can I remove dead larva by using forceps? Because leaving them like that makes more stress to bees I think.. I don't wanna burn the hive.. suggest me if there any natural ways to treat it... It's new split which is laying worker before and still have capped drone brood nearly 2 frames full. 2weeks back they made a queen after giving open brood. Queen is healthy and big but my dear is that. Did the queen bee die because of infection from foul brood? Some one plz help me馃

Registered

Registered
15 hives third year.
I had a hive with it this spring and requeened which wasnt successful as far as curing it. I ended up trashing the old combs and reducing them to a 5f nuc with new foundation a 1 partially draw frame. Hope that will settle it.. I had the state bee inspector to come out and she liked what I had done. Some use antibiotics bit most say your helping to build resistance to the diseases. Some say requeening (hygenic) is a cure and a nectar flow should help but it disnt in my case. Best Wishes

Registered
If you can I would remove all the affected frames and compress the hive down to nothing but food, good brood and empty comb. I would also remove the 2 frames of drones since they were produced by a laying worker and they'll do the hive no good since you said you now have a laying queen. Hopefully you can steal a frame or 2 of capped brood from another hive. Remove the drone brood from their cells so you can see if you may have a huge varroa problem.

I had a hive that may have had the same problem. Called my state inspector and he thought it was an issue with varroa because doing the matchstick test it didn't act like AFB or EFB but I had black stinky brood. I moved it from my main bee yard so it wouldn't have a chance to infect my other hives. At the time it was a double deep double super. Pulled the supers off to move it and then compressed it down to 1 deep and 1 super. That was three years ago and that hive is one of the strongest hives I have today and the problem has never shown up again. I double bagged the removed frames and when I could I burned them just to be sure.

Premium Member
Purchase oxytetracycline. Focus all your efforts on making that purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts