Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My grandparents were from Ukraine. Stalin invaded. Russia took farms and food, causing mass starvation. That's what my family and the internet says.

Privatization:
Russia switched from communism to crony capitalism. Industry was unfairly privatized, causing wealth inequality and oligarchs.
brief history
Yale

Recent history (Putin regime):
I hear a lot about assassinations of Putin opponents. They don’t have free speech or many rights.

Recent invasions:
I don’t study this, so I’m probably missing some. There’s Ukraine and the involvement in Syria. Land that improves their ocean access is their priority.

“He was a KGB agent. By definition he doesn't have a soul.” (Hillary Clinton (about Putin))

·
Registered
44 Posts
I recently listened to a podcast about WW1. One of the main things I discovered was how inept the ruling class of Russia was in the 1800's. The czars of Russia lived in a bubble and had no idea of what was happening outside of the bubble.

One thing that blew my mind was when I learned Leonid Brezhnev ( the leader of the USSR from 1964 to 1982) drove a Lincoln Continental and would run people down on the way to work just for the thrill.
"Brezhnev's main passion was driving foreign cars given to him by leaders of state from across the world. He usually drove these between his dacha and the Kremlin with, according to historian Robert Service, flagrant disregard for public safety.[136] When visiting the United States for a summit with Nixon in 1973, he expressed a wish to drive around Washington in a Lincoln Continental that Nixon had just given him; upon being told that the Secret Service would not allow him to do this, he said "I will take the flag off the car, put on dark glasses, so they can't see my eyebrows and drive like any American would" to which Henry Kissinger replied "I have driven with you and I don't think you drive like an American!"[137]"- Wikipedia

·
Registered
501 Posts
Do we really want to promote nationalism on a forum about beekkeeping? This is an international community, and we need wide participation, as we have a lot to learn from others. Nationalistic discussions only offend and detract from our purpose.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Regarding the Russian History, the long past, the recent, and the present (my own history too), I will not be doing it on this forum.

This thread is to be just terminated.
Not appropriate here anyway.

·
Super Moderator
5,638 Posts
David, I tend to agree that the purpose of this thread is hard to discern. As a contrast between Russian and American ways of life, I can understand. But if the sole purpose is to just highlight some of the stupid things Russia's government has done in the past, well, folks that live in glass houses should not cast stones.

·
Registered
415 Posts
My Favorite composer by far is from the then Russian state Ukraine, Sergi Procofiev. (Piano Concerto's) My favorite authors are Dostoevsky and Maxim Gorky. (Alexei Maximovich Peshkov) Gorky's trilogy My Childhood, My Apprenticeship and My Universities. I had vivid flashbacks to my own childhood when reading the first book. He is a phenomenal descriptive writer. These books also provide a tragic insight into a period of time of Russian history.

I have no idea why I like both Russian music and literature. I have also seen amazing industrial innovations from Russians.

Appreciating Russian people doesn't equate with liking their political system or History. History is just facts of what happened, and facts are difficult to know because the teller of the story determines the "facts" Every nation has this issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts