Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Welcome to the forum beeginer.

There are many threads on the subject. Type in homemade into the search feature and you will find what you are looking for.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Alpha6 has a good honey bee healthy, type recipe. Adding a few drops of thyme oil is said to help with mites.
If you search you should find the recipe to make a concentrate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Episode 5 of my Podcast, just released, has several recipes and information on using essential oils. Important details are included like the fact that you must use food grade oil and not the others that contain solvents or worse. (think aromatherapy oils)

I posted one of the recipes in the show notes and I also added a blog post about essential oils with more info and some sources to buy from online.

The Organically Managed Beekeeping Podcast
http://somdbeekeeper.com

Enjoy,
SoMDBeekeeper

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
All I'm aware of are mite suppressants. If you know of an actual cure, please let us know.
Wayne
From what I have read, you cannot completely 'cure'/eliminate varroa mites, but by various means they can be kept at low levels that aren't too harmful- either by using chemical/pesticide or natural type 'treatments', or by having mite resistant or super hygenic bees that may not require treating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts