Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the essential oils used for mite control are the same as for cooking/baking? This may sound stupid but I am not sure about purity levels or the actual strength of the oil , adverse effects , effectiveness, how much to use , how often, ect... I am sorry if this is a redundant question we are new to the forum and bees, so thanks in advance for bearing with us.

·
Registered
359 Posts
there is a company that adverstises in the American Bee Journal, LorAnn oils Inc. 800-248-1302. They deal in pure essential oils and sell to beekeepers. When buying essential oils you have to make sure they are pure and not diluted. They have an ad in the October 2009 ABJ, page 974

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
One of my "rules" of beekeeping:

Is it food safe, will it harm my bees?

Not all essential oils are food-grade. Do you want to eat anything that's not? :)

>purity levels . . .
>actual strength of the oil . . .
>adverse effects . . .
>effectiveness . . .
>how much to use . . .
>how often . . .
>ect...

All are very good questions.
And, I might add, are they legal to use for mite treatment (NO!)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Good info Craig gives to consider before buying EO
Some interesting podcasts to listen to also.

http://somdbeekeeper.com/

There are a lot of people experimenting with essential oils and some amazing results are being reported. One thing to remember though, there are different grades of essential oils and not all are meant for consumption!
There is the so called, “Grade A” which is reported to be of therapeutic quality and usually made from organically grown plants, distilled at the proper temperatures and done by steam distillation. This oil is very expensive. Then there is the so called, “Grade B” which is said to be plainly “food grade.” It can contain synthetics, pesticides, fertilizers, chemical/synthetic extenders or carrier oils etc. Seems to me with all the potential for those foreign substances to be present it would hardy be proper to allow this to be called “food grade” but that’s the world we live in!
Finally we have the so called, “Grade C” which are perfume grade oils not really meant for consumption. They can contain all of the same adulterating substances potentially found in “Grade B” plus they usually contain solvents which are used to gain a higher yield of oil per harvest. I have read that these solvents can cause cancer if ingested by humans. I have no idea (I’m not even going to speculate) how these solvents would effect honeybees if they ate it. The best case is nothing and the worst case is the death of the bee that ate it I suppose.
I mention this because you may want to consider researching any essential oils that you are going to purchase and use in your hives, especially if you’re using it as an additive to feed them as opposed to diffusing it in the air. Also, be aware that the more “pure” (closer to Grade A) the oil, the higher the price. This is just another one of those little decisions you may be faced with, pay more and sleep better or go cheap and roll the dice!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Also, do not confuse 'pure extracts' with 'pure essential oils'. Extracts (such as peppermint extract, wintergreen, lemon, cinnamon, vanilla, etc) are often sold for cooking/flavoring purposes and contain alcohol and other ingredients, plus their flavor may be totally artificial- definitely not to be used for your bees!

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Here's a source that I use:
GloryBee Foods

http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/Shop_ProductDetail.cfm?PC=6&PSC=0&P=14336&Product_Name=essential oil, lemongrass&Token=207.200.116.10:{ts_2009-12-22_08:48:12}-477339

essential oil, lemongrass
Item Number: 13170

Price: $25.25

Package Size: 16 fl oz.
Product Description: Lemongrass - cymbopogon citratus (steam distilled from leaves) fresh, grassy, citrus scent. Antidepressant, antioxidant, astringent, bactericidal, deodorant, fungicidal, sedative. 100% pure, undiluted oils.

Regards,
Ernie

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
One of my "rules" of beekeeping:

Is it food safe, will it harm my bees?

Not all essential oils are food-grade. Do you want to eat anything that's not? :)

>purity levels . . .
>actual strength of the oil . . .
>adverse effects . . .
>effectiveness . . .
>how much to use . . .
>how often . . .
>ect...

All are very good questions.
And, I might add, are they legal to use for mite treatment (NO!)
Is thymol legal for mite treatment? Yes it is. Please get your facts straight. Please show where it is not legal and as a matter of fact, Apiguards active ingredient is thymol and numerous studies done both in the US and Europe show thymol to be effective in mite control. I am constantly amazed how people will make things up with no facts to back them up and post them as fact. :scratch:

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Cymbopogon flexuosus or C. citratus

Does anyone know what the difference is between "Cymbopogon flexuosus" and "Cymbopogon citratus"?

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I think they are just 2 different varieties of the plant. The stuff I bought was red Thyme oil. I don't know if one is better than the other.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Re: Cymbopogon flexuosus or C. citratus

Does anyone know what the difference is between "Cymbopogon flexuosus" and "Cymbopogon citratus"?
Take this with a grain of salt. But I think the only difference is the region it's grown/found. East vs West. East India and West India. Though I don't think there is a difference in the two. Again I could be wrong. It's been a while since I read about the two. I will look it up again and refresh us on it.

KQ6AR,

I think Beecurious is talking about Lemon Grass Oil.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Best I found Is Honey Bee Heathy mixed just right my bees love it and the guys who make it spent years in R&D with mite control.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an old Beek that is training me, He swears by FGMO, does any one hear have any experience using both thyme oil and FGMO ? Is this a good or bad combination thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
does any one hear have any experience using both thyme oil and FGMO ?
Yes, FGMO
I know a man who lost13 colonies!
I introduced him to Apiguard and he's back into beekeeping.
Ernie

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have an old Beek that is training me, He swears by FGMO, does any one hear have any experience using both thyme oil and FGMO ? Is this a good or bad combination thanks in advance.
It would probably work if you got the right amount of thyme oil mixed in? and that's the problem i've had (but not with FGMO) if you get to much thyme oil in your mix you can drive the bees out of the hive, so go slow. Jack

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
If we consider the original question, "are EOs the same as for cooking/baking", I do not see a problem w/ my answer.

However, your "ideas" are not exactly clear
>Is thymol legal for mite treatment . . .
Not if you are using a homemade recipe! Is it?

>Apiguards active ingredient is thymol . . .
The question was not about Apiguard. Was it?

>US and Europe show thymol to be effective in mite control . . .
These studies do NOT use something "cooked up" w/ a "cooking/baking" type of EO.

I am constantly amazed how people will make things up . . .
Unfortunately, that's pretty common here.

Anytime you think I'm wrong, PLEASE just say so.

:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts