Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add lemon grass, spearmint & tea tree oil to 7.5 litres (7.9US quarts) of sugar syrup for my 3 hives. How much of each oil do I use for this? I don't want to overdose on oils but want it to be effective for varroa treatment also. I have heard that tea tree oil in sugar syrup is helpful in reducing varroa numbers.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,042 Posts
You need to post this in the general "bee forum". This is the treatment free forum and that would be (as you said yourself) a treatment. The downside of essential oils, besides disrupting the way the hive communicates, which is by smell, is that it will kill off the beneficial microbes in the gut of the bees which is what protects them from Nosema, AFB, EFB and chalkbrood.

Rules for this forum:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?253066-Unique-Forum-Rules

·
Registered
593 Posts
Michael, I have read posts by you concerning e.o's I don't see them on your page. would you post the best link to your position on E.O's thx.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need to post this in the general "bee forum". This is the treatment free forum and that would be (as you said yourself) a treatment. The downside of essential oils, besides disrupting the way the hive communicates, which is by smell, is that it will kill off the beneficial microbes in the gut of the bees which is what protects them from Nosema, AFB, EFB and chalkbrood.

Rules for this forum:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?253066-Unique-Forum-Rules
Sorry I thought that essential oils was treatment free. Now that you mention it , I guess not.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thanks Michael. that was it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I believe this is the "Diseases and Pests (identifying and treating diseased and pests)" forum,,

"Treatment-Free Beekeeping" is another forum...

==McBee7==

1 - 9 of 9 Posts