Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What thoughts do you have in the placement of Escape Boards and type of Escape Boards or devices you may use?

1. Placing the Boards under the super to allow the Bee's to travel down.

2. Placing the super on a flat surface and placing the Board on the top allowing them to escape and fly back to the hive entrance.

What type of Escape would you recommend,The triangle board,Cones etc?

The only difference that I might see is the time required to clear a super for extraction if you wanted to only make one trip to your yard.

Your thoughts please?

Jack

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
triangle escape board is what I use, they have them on sale this month at betterbee if you want to buy some, I bought my first one and then built the others i have from the measurements from that one, I leave them one for about 24 hours and mayber 5-10 bees left in supers when i return.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
If I have enough of them around, I like to put the escape board on a bottom board, stack the supers on it and put another on top. But one on the bottom works.

The triangular ones work. The ones that go in the hole in the inner cover do not.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
quote: <If I have enough of them around, I like to put the escape board on a bottom board, stack the supers on it and put another on top. But one on the bottom works.>

how many supers can you stack on using this system?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The single most negative factor for escape boards is that if there are any cracks or breakes in the stack the bee will rob you blind so double check your stacks for any bee entrance before you walk away.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
No, the "The single most negative factor for
escape boards" is all the extra lifting required
to insert the escape board (or set the supers in
a stack). Then, later, you get to lift them
all over again. The other big negative is the
time lag. You don't get honey in bottles the
same day when you use bee escapes, unless you
get very lucky.

But yeah, robbing is yet another downside.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
>No, the "The single most negative factor for
escape boards" is all the extra lifting required
to insert the escape board (or set the supers in
a stack). Then, later, you get to lift them
all over again.

That's it exactly.

·
Registered
7,054 Posts
Most of my bees are 20 feet away from my extracting room. I remove the supers onto flatbed dollies, place a triangular escape on top, tape any holes, come back at night or the next day and wheel them in. One lift. It took me 28 years to realize that the best place for my bees was outside my extracting room, so I am not half as smart as I would like to think.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I've been using escape boards also. As mentioned by others, the drawbacks that I see are:

- all the lifting
- the time lag
- the chance for robbing
- and finally, after all that, I still have a lot of bees to brush off the frames.

I bought some Bee Quick to try for this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts