Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Good evening,

Do I need a prescription to get an EpiPen here in the U.S?

Thank you,

James
Yes, but with most doctors it is probably automafic when you tell them tou are a beekeeper.
( more automatic than i am personally comfortable with )

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Yes, but with most doctors it is probably automafic when you tell them tou are a beekeeper.
( more automatic than i am personally comfortable with )
All I had to do was tell my primary care physician that I was using bee venom for my arthritis, and he wrote the script without me asking (his wife is a beekeeper)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I injected myself with epinephrine subcutaneously after a sting (had an allergic reaction in the past) and I think I came close to calamity. Not all venoms have the same antigens and your response to antigens will change over time. Don’t use epi unless you are in serious trouble. Take some antihistamine pills and topical antihistamine and steroid cream at the sting site. It is likely that many bad outcomes from allergies are iatrogenic (treatment caused), like a heart attack from an epi injection.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but instead of an epi pen I asked my Dr for a 1ml vial of epi and 3 syringes total cost $12.50. The usual dose is .3ml of epi so the vial gives three doses.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dchap, that’s what I did. Don’t accidentally draw up the wrong dose. If you are going down that road then get some diphenhydramine too. Much less risk. No heart attack. I still think the risk of epinephrine is usually higher than the bee sting (based on anecdotes.)

·
Registered
323 Posts
EpiPen is a brand name and is extremely expensive, but they make generic epinephrine auto injectors called Adrenaclick now that are basically the same as EpiPens but apparently are legally distinct enough to be a 'different' product. Literal life saver. If you ask your doctor for an EpiPen, he'she will write you a Rx for the brand name EpiPen and you will be out a lot of money. But if you specifically ask for the generic, you will get a Rx for that. A two pack runs me $60.

The vials and syringes are certainly cheaper, but the whole point of an auto injector is that it is pre-dosed and spring loaded so when you going through shock and lose your fine motor skills, you can administer it yourself with minimal ability. Always ask your doctor what options are available to you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts