Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this new.......

Flying in the face of recent science demonstrating that pollinator populations are declining, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has made the decision to unconditionally register another pesticide that is known to be highly toxic to bees—almost one year after the EPA registered sulfoxaflor, disregarding concerns from beekeepers and environmental groups.

http://ecowatch.com/2014/02/07/epa-approves-another-pesticide-toxic-bees/

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I would be nervous if it was used near my bees. Those in the orange groves and near cotton might want to take extra precautions.

Bees
Acute exposure bee toxicity tests were conducted with cyantraniliprole active constituent and the 100 g/L SE,
100 g/L OD and 200 g/L SC formulations.
With the active constituent, the 48 h LD50 was >0.1055
μg ac/bee
with oral exposure, and with contact exposure the 72 h LD50 was > 0.0934 μg ac/bee. With the 100 g/L SE
formulation, the 96 h LD50 was 0.92 μg ac/bee (8.76 μg formulation/bee) with oral exposure, and with
contact exposure the 96 h LD50 was 2.78
μg ac/bee (26.5 μg formulation/bee). Studies were also provided
with the 100 g/L OD and 200 g/L SC formulations, indicating oral LD50 values of ~0.4 μg ac/bee and contact
LD50s of ~0.6 μg ac/bee. Therefore cyantraniliprole can be categorised as toxic to ho
neybees with acute
oral or contact exposure (acute LD50 in the range 0.1 to 1 μg/bee).

Study here:http://www.apvma.gov.au/registration/assessment/docs/prs_cyantraniliprole_october_2013.pdf

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thanks Obama Administration!

TP
What? I am pretty sure he had nothing to do with writing these regulations. They go way back and as I understand it his appointees are much more environmentally friendly and less big business friendly (liberal, green, hippy types) than the previous administration. You need to speak to your congressman about getting the laws changed. Nothing the Prez can do about that.

·
Registered
770 Posts
He can't fire the head of the EPA and replace senior staff? He can't set an agenda?

He's not stopping this, therefore he's part of the problem.

TP
It wouldn't make it through the house, nothing else does. If he tried to replace them, they wouldn't approve. Try congress or senate that is where big chemical company's monies at. JMO

·
Registered
81 Posts
Look at the EPA and FDA and see how many of their employees have worked for the big chemical co. or are or have been lobbyist. They are all in bed together.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts