Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm Jess--my boyfriend Josh and I started bee keeping about eight months ago. Josh builds all our hives in the Langstroth style, and all our bees have come from free removals and trapping. It all started with a small hive in a channel marker post at the school I teach at. Josh and I had just started talking about bee keeping and the school was gonna pay a ton of money to remove the bees. So, with their permission, we chopped down the pole, wrapped it in a blanket and drove home with the bees (for free of course). Honey would be a wonderful bonus, but we are more concerned with the environmental impact bees have and the reality of declining populations--we wanted to do our part to help--five or six hives later, I joined the forum when our newest hive failed utterly with no obvious reason to be found. Everyone has been really helpful. Thanks!
Jess n Josh
Lower FL Keys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Jess. Are you registered with the state Apiary Inspection yet?
I couldn't find a form to fill out on-line, and our one colony swarmed (the one we rescued from the school had major hive beetles). Now that we have been lucky enough to find more, I contacted our local apiary inspector directly for proper registration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts