Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I vaguely remember seeing a thread about this but cannot find it. Has anyone made an entrance box with conical bee escapes so I could go to a yard at say 6pm, screw on the entrance escape, and have all the bees in the hive and secure for a move the next morning? Should be simple to make and only downside i can see is them not finding their way in or me not moving them the next morning where id have to take it off. Am i missing anything? Seems more convenient then me out there at 9pm. My yards are on farms and i try not to disturb them nor get shot by neighbors.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It's not a trap but I built a robber screen that can lock down a hive, also works great for a reorientation obstacle. The "slot" along the top of the screen's frame is approx. 3/8" that accepts a 1/4-5/56 piece of wood to lock the hive down, with a slight modification you can also leave a smaller opening. The frame is roughly 8" x 8" x 1". I run BBs with the entrance fixed a 4-4.5" so the screen works on all hives.

20170829_170948.jpg robber screen 1.jpg

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not a trap but I built a robber screen that can lock down a hive, also works great for a reorientation obstacle. The "slot" along the top of the screen's frame is approx. 3/8" that accepts a 1/4-5/56 piece of wood to lock the hive down, with a slight modification you can also leave a smaller opening. The frame is roughly 8" x 8" x 1". I run BBs with the entrance fixed a 4-4.5" so the screen works on all hives.

View attachment 49383 View attachment 49385
Those are some nice robber screens. My concept is that but with one way conical escapes going in so after i install they will get in and not get out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts