Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hives has built up very quickly and it is a flury of activity. I installed the package on April 17th. Can I remove my entrance reducer now?

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Deer Slayer, I hived a 3# pkg on May 3rd and had another 3# pkg drift to that hive. I pulled the entrance reducer 4-5 days after that. It semmed to make them a lot happier. They didn't have to pile over each other coming and going. I noticed as the days went by that they were using the whole entrance, which led me to believe they were building all the frames. I inspected yesterday and was right all but 1 &2 & 9 had comb. I only run 9 frames in a 10 frame box. It is warm finally, I say pull the reducer!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately the reducers I have only have one size opening. I think I will go ahead and remove the reducer from the hive that is very active. I think they are of sufficient quantity to be able to defend their home from intruders now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the sticks with a single opening as well. I just cut some other 1x1's to length that would give me a larger opening without going full open and set them in place from each end. Bees arent strong enough to push them out of the way.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
My rule of thumb is that if the cluster reaches from side to side of the box, they have the beepower to defend the full opening. I do sometimes resort to Mike's intermediate opening in the early season for those behind schedule in development. The early season is prime robbing time.

Walt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts