Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just hive my package and according to some advice as well as what I have read I am to use the smallest opening in the entrance reducer. I made mine with one 3/4" x 3/8" opening and one 4" x 3/8" opening. I notice what seems to be quite a traffic jam at the entrance. Is this normal for a new hive, or are the gals needing a larger entrance? Also I have an IPM screened bottom board installed. should I have the removable mite board removed which is how it now is, or should it be in place. I am concerned about ventalation. Thank You!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I keep an entrance reducer in for awhile. They may have some traffic poblems for awhile. Many reduicers have two sizes cut in them so you could switch to the bigger one (or cut another yourself). It doesn't really hurt to take out the reducer once they get more established so that robbing won't be a problem. Regarding the screened bottom board, I never put the bottom in it. I leave it open year-round except for short times when checking for mite fall. They "winter" and "summer" just fine with it open

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I did cut my reducer with both the small and larger openings so I can turn the reducer 1/4 turn for a larger opening. Unless I hear otherwise I will leave the 3/4 X 3/8" entrance. I had planned on leaving it for a while. The book I've been reading suggested six weeks. With the screened bottom board bottom out I am not concerned with the ventalation. I would have had the concern if the bottom was in place. I also have a slatted rack I made installed above the screened bottom. It sounds like maybe I'll just let the gals be for a while, and watch from a distance. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts