Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone else has had this happen? This was the 2nd time on the same hive, only have two hives in the yard. I keep the reducer sandwiched in between the bottom board and the first deep so whatever it was had to work to pull it out. I’m guessing a raccoon? But then again I’ve never heard of anyone else having a raccoon try to get in a hive. Maybe a possum? If it happens again I may have to put a camera up and a raccoon trap. Surprised it came back for round two cause I’m sure it got lit up both times. I got in the hive yesterday afternoon and all looked normal, no mice. Check out the scratch marks on the landing board.

5B8D70DD-712A-4C80-AC1C-9CF75FCFCD77_1572353905804.jpg

·
Registered
403 Posts
Solution...a small piece of thin wood or metal screwed to the face of the bottom box will disallow the reducer to be pulled...or pushed...out.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Never had it happen, but I would be putting a metal mouse guard on to solve the problem, and some tack strips to deter whatever it was from coming back for free meals.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
A couple of years ago I had a problem with a few hives being raided by skunks and 'possums until I remembered reading on BeeSource to elevate my hives to about 18". That way the predator has to raise up exposing it's soft underbelly to the bees. That problem was solved.

Good luck,
Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts