Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had entrance reducers on all my hives since thay were started this year. i have them in so as the bees walg in on the botom board through the gap with no obstruction. i was looking at my latest bee culture and i hapen to notice in some of the adds for compleat hives i see that the entrance reducers are in so as the bees hafe to climb over the entrance reducer through the gap. wich way is right.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
the bee's really don't care, their gonna go in and out just the same either way. Relax a bit, enjoy your bee's, worry less. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
(I think) some place them that way to help with robbing. It's not a total robbing stopper, but robber bees like to fly straight in the entrance. This would divert their flight path causing them to land at the entrance. Giving the guards a chance to stop them.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It depends. Up here the theory is that you don't want the dead bees that pile up in the hive to clog the exit; It is so cold that for months they pile up and if the reducer had its entrance facing the bottom board it would get blocked, so the reducer is placed the way you described. In the spring when you do your first inspection the dead bees can be swept out and the reducer turned upside down so that the bees are able to walk out on to the porch. Adrian.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i aint sweating it at all. i did it the way it made since to me that is the way i did it. by the way had sunshine yesterday and maby 30 for a high. i found bout 100 or moor dead bees out side the hive today. none there sat night so over 2 days is this typical house cleaning?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I use a screened bottom board so I can pull it out to clean it from dead bees and put it back in. Works good for me but may not for everyone

1 - 9 of 9 Posts