Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one of my hives the entrance reducer does not fit into the entrance opening. For three years I have just set it on the bottom board against the opening with no problems. This week I found it on the ground in front of the hive. I put it back in place only to find it on the ground the next day again. Yesterday after putting it back I placed a rock on and against it, and you guessed it on the ground again today with the rock along side it. My hives sit above ground on 4x6's placed on concrete blocks. They are inside a chainlink dog kennel that has electric fence around it starting at 4 inches above the ground. What is moving the reducer? I'm thinking mouse but not sure with this time of year and a very healthy colony. ( I screwed it down today):s

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can a skunk fit through a chain link fence? And go under the electric fence wire strung about 4-5 inches above the ground? We do have a skunk roaming the neighborhood lately.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
On one of my hives the entrance reducer does not fit into the entrance opening. For three years I have just set it on the bottom board against the opening with no problems. This week I found it on the ground in front of the hive. I put it back in place only to find it on the ground the next day again. Yesterday after putting it back I placed a rock on and against it, and you guessed it on the ground again today with the rock along side it. My hives sit above ground on 4x6's placed on concrete blocks. They are inside a chainlink dog kennel that has electric fence around it starting at 4 inches above the ground. What is moving the reducer? I'm thinking mouse but not sure with this time of year and a very healthy colony. ( I screwed it down today):s
likely skunks, live trap with tuna can time . the skunks will harass the bees to no end

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
A skunk can climb a chain link fence. Chain link presents very little challenge to them.

This doesn't address the reason the entrance reducer is moving, but why not solve the problem of the entrance reducer not fitting? Sand it or cut it to fit.

·
Registered
zone 3 240 colonies
265 Posts
Sounds like skunks...persistent little devils, cleaned me out of 4 hives completely and thinned out a good many more before I caught on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If it’s skunks you better take some precautions fast. I lost 4 hives to them last winter and they thinned down another to the point it didn’t make spring buildup.
I ended up putting chicken wire in front of the hives on a fence charger to stop them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since I screwed the entrance reducer down I don't see any problems. I still don't understand how a skunk can get to my bees. As I have said my hives are inside a 6 ft. high chain-link dog kennel. The kennel has 3 electric fence wires running around it on insulators 4 inches from the fence and starting at about 4 inches above the ground. I now know they can climb chain link fence but how can they get past the electric fence wires? How do they get the bees when the bees are inside the hive at night and the skunks are not around during daylight hours? I'm not doubting anyone I just don't understand.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts