Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the location of the entrance of a TBH dictate the brood nest location as well?

If so, does a side entrance present more issues with getting the cluster to one end for wintering - or do you pretty much have to physically move them to one end no matter where the entrance is?

Adam

·
Banned
840 Posts
my observation is that people have different approaches.

some guys like Phil at Biobees prefer the center side entrance and use a follower board on either side then move one of the two followers to the end of the hive to accommodate growth. These guys also use the space that is empty for nucs, storage, etc.. pretty often. They like to be able to pull a follower board at either end for a quick check on the combs without directly pulling a bar or disturbing the colony.

I have seen that if an end entrance is used, they will more than likely start the brood comb in the third of the open space closest to the entrance then add comb for stores toward the opposite end as they go. I like to keep a follower board to confine the space to a third of the hive near the end entrance and move the follower board back as they expand to the opposite end.

either way, they do seem to build the brood area closest to the entrance,tregardless if it's in the center or the end.

at least least, that's what I'll tell you.

Big Bear

·
Registered
663 Posts
Does the location of the entrance of a TBH dictate the brood nest location as well?

If so, does a side entrance present more issues with getting the cluster to one end for wintering - or do you pretty much have to physically move them to one end no matter where the entrance is?

Adam
In my experience it generally does.

With a side entrance it's not necessarily about getting them to one end of the hive, but getting them to one end of the honey (or ensuring that the honey is on one end). I tried leaving some of my top bar hives alone entirely this season in regard to honey/brood location and they starved to death in a hive full of stores. Those in which I ensured the honey was allocated in one end seem to be doing fine.

With an end entrance you have fewer issues related to this, but then you have more difficulty getting into the brood area.

Matt

·
Registered
557 Posts
With a side end entrance you could use a spacer/space between the follower board and end board to have quick access to the brood nest and still be able to put the follower board back in place. You need enough slack between the follower board and end wall or you may have a hard time fitting the the bars and follower board back in. The bars never go back together as tight as they were before you have inspected.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The situation you will encounter with a side center entrance going into winter will be brood in the middle and stores on either side. This will force you to rearrange the stores so they are all at one end because the bees will only move in one direction and will not cross back over empty stores to get to full combs.

The end entrance will result in the brood nest near the entrance and 99% of the honet behind that the bees backfill the brood nest and work their way back. NO need to rearrange anything and if you insist on using a follower board you need only one.

The end entrance saves Labor, less intrusion and materials. Basically work smarter not harder!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The situation you will encounter with a side center entrance going into winter will be brood in the middle and stores on either side. This will force you to rearrange the stores so they are all at one end because the bees will only move in one direction and will not cross back over empty stores to get to full combs.
Not in my experience. I have been running TBHs for 9 years and have never had a colony put substantial stores on either side - they always favour on or the other, and the point of using two followers is to give you the flexibility to manage them so they favour the side you offer them.

And your prejudice against the two-follower system is getting tiresome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts