Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any advantage during a strong flow to having an entrance hole in the honey super above the excluder to alleviate having the bees travel the entire distance of the hive from the bottom board in order to reach the honey super at the top of the stack? Or is this apt to cause robbing?

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Very little chance of robbing during a strong flow. Give them another entrance above the excluder during the flow and you might surprised how much it will be used.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I have upper entrance holes above my supers in a shim. My bees appear to do very well, hauling in their plunder directly. I watch my hives closely for robbing, but during a strong flow it is unlikely. Afterwards, I usually add a robbing screen. I also do not use QuEx, relying on the honey cap to restrict laying in my supers. But then my supers and brood boxes are both the same size (deep), so if a frame or two in the super gets used for brood, I just move it down into the brood nest proper when I can. If I used different sized boxes, I think I would want to use a QuEx.

Nancy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts