Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking into using the cloake board method this year to raise a few queens. One of the stipulations of it is ensuring that the queen is in the bottom box.

My question is- In the name of expediency, would shaking all the bees from the top box frames onto the bottom box be considered too rough on the queen if she is on one of the shook frames?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been looking into using the cloake board method this year to raise a few queens. One of the stipulations of it is ensuring that the queen is in the bottom box.

My question is- In the name of expediency, would shaking all the bees from the top box frames onto the bottom box be considered too rough on the queen if she is on one of the shook frames?
That's usually the way it is done when you can't find her.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
... In the name of expediency, would shaking all the bees from the top box frames onto the bottom box be considered too rough on the queen if she is on one of the shook frames?
Yes - this is the way it's often done - and yes, it can be rough on the queen ...

I once lost a perfectly good queen by doing this - Sod's Law applied - there happened to be zero bees on the box floor in the area where some frames had been removed, and the queen was one of the first bees to lose her grip. I actually saw her hit the bare box floor, and she never got up.

So these days - if I ever need to shake any bees out, I use a shake-out hopper which reduces the distance of 'drop' to a handful of inches, and keeps all the bees in the box, where they're supposed to be (rather than on the grass, which is what some 'experts' do).

Much better of course to mark your queens, and by doing so more easily spot them, in order to then treat them with the gentleness they deserve. :)
LJ

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think Little John is right about the chance of injuring a fat queen if nothing cousins her fall. I don't have the box he refers to (probably need to get one), but I smoke most of them down into the lower box before shaking what few remain.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
To save acquiring/ making extra kit - one precaution which could be useful to take would be to shake-out a non-brood-comb before shaking-out any brood-combs. The chances of a queen being on a non-brood comb are far less, and doing this would create a carpet of bees onto which subsequent bees would land. Far less chance of a queen hitting a hard surface that way ... :)
LJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts