Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to post a link to my friend Neranza's website. She is a wonderful artist working with ENCAUSTICS - Painting with Beeswax and Damar Crystals. If you check it out I think you'll see something truly wonderful.:):):)
HAB

http://www.neranza.com/

·
Registered
302 Posts
Very talented, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
fr: Neranza
Encaustic means "to fuse" and every layer of wax has heat applied to fuse it to the previous layer. In ancient times hot coals would be put in a bag and waved over the painting. Today we are fortunate to have heat guns. Some people use heat lamps. I use an industrial gun and just love watching that moment when the wax just starts to melt and bond with the layer below it. As a former oil painter with a great supply of raw wax from my father, I mix my own colors by pressing the oil paint between paper towels for a few hours to get some of the oil out. I add this in small amounts to the wax that I first strained then remelted with damar crystals not to be confused with damar varnish that has had turpentine added. The crystals melt at a higher heat which gives the encaustic painting more durability. There are many sites and books with more details on how to paint with encaustic. I'm certainly hooked.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Beautiful! As an avid - perhaps obsessive - reader of ancient history, I've heard about the tomb paintings (the Etruscans were known to use this technique on statuary, as were the Greeks), but had never seen an explanantion ofhow it was done. Thanks, both for the link and for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts