Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well we haven't opened our tb hive this year yet as I thought it was too cold. I put honeycomb out for them and today it was covered in happy bees, but when I look through the window the hive is empty, empty empty. so I don't know what is going on. This is our first year. Guess I will open it up tomorrow & see what is what.

·
Registered
159 Posts
well we haven't opened our tb hive this year yet as I thought it was too cold. I put honeycomb out for them and today it was covered in happy bees, but when I look through the window the hive is empty, empty empty. so I don't know what is going on. This is our first year. Guess I will open it up tomorrow & see what is what.
I couldn't see my bees until it warmed up enough, days, for them to move from the insulated side to the colder window (they hid clustered until it was 55-60 and sunny and they were flying regular). Even then I started out this first overwintered season with bees only on the front TWO bars.....as in "next to none left"!!! I thought they were goners AFTER I looked in,so if anybody's home give 'em some time. Mine made it and they are 6 bars and spreading weekly now. If you had Carniolans or mutts you may Still have a small but "ready to go" colony. I don't know if tiny clusters of Italians "make it" but other honey bees can. It ain't over til it's over. I hope yours are in there alive and just haven't warmed up yet! Best wishes. HB

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks your post gave me hope :) we were just discussing if we would try to find a package to replace them.....maybe we will give them a little longer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well there is a guy at church who said he had bees in a tree near his house...... I am going to talk to him tomorrow to get more details :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
What HB said. Mine avoid the window all winter and stay clustered near the front of the hive. Usually can't see them at all and then they suddenly explode in size. Mine are Italians, so it isn't just the carnis.

Matt M.

·
Registered
159 Posts
thanks your post gave me hope :) we were just discussing if we would try to find a package to replace them.....maybe we will give them a little longer.
I got a Second and empty hive waiting for a new package anyway! I knew last year I wanted better odds(more than one hive) even if my first overwintered. Never hurts to be safe !!!, since it's hard to find packages later in the year nowadays.

Hey Matt M- Thanks for saying that tiny hidden clusters of Italians can make a big comeback too. I'd read that they were not as "weatherwise", so I wasn't sure and began with carnis. I've also read Italians make more honey and don't swarm as much, so that could be a Plus for a TB.(if I'm nuts enough to start a Third hive! giggle.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts